Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Which Christian university would suit me? I have some liberal beliefs

Replies to: Which Christian university would suit me? I have some liberal beliefs

• HuntHunt Registered User Posts: 26,851 Senior Member
    It happens because Whistle Pig can't resist including flame bait along with some pretty good specific advice.
  • calla1calla1 Registered User Posts: 1,810 Senior Member
    ^^^lol 10char
  • sosomenzasosomenza - Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Go Catholic. Don't forget Gonzaga in Spokane. Catholics believe and don't have to thump the bible at any who happens to walk by.
  • casey1casey1 Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    The Jesuits are pretty liberal. John Carroll in Cleveland or Xavier in Cincy.
  • Whistle PigWhistle Pig - Posts: 4,093 Senior Member
    Hunt wrote:
    It happens because Whistle Pig can't resist including flame bait along with some pretty good specific advice.

Franko, great insight and astute observation!

I think Hunt's right. Poor GolfDaddy simply cannot help himself. He reads my posts carefully, and finds my views of many things tough to understand, especially my views of orthodox Christianity and knowledge of higher education. It's just tough for him, and I wish I could help. :(

And Hunt too, who just cannot contain her affection for me. :) These two love picking and piling on poor ol' Piggy! But don't worry! I can handle it. ;) And when someone disagrees, no big deal. I suspect that GolfDaddy and Hunt hang here and follow my posts closely because they enjoy the vibrancy and expanding their minds. And I'm confident they both learn from it all. For sure, I make a difference for them, as Hunt has so generously noted with her explanation.

More to the more important point, I'm confident for anyone wishing to learn about Christian colleges and university and higher education in general, and can read, you'll figure it out quickly about these kind folks and poor, dumb ol' Whistle Pig, who's just trying to get along. Doing my best. Stick with me, and I promise you're understanding will be enhanced and your thinking more critical in capability. And THOSE are 2 things of value for us all! :biggrin: Go get 'em! Blessings! Jesus loves you! Guaranteed! :cool:

P.S. And he even loves GolfDaddio and Hunt! And me! Thank God!
  • sally305sally305 Registered User Posts: 7,604 Senior Member
    Whistle Pig, the Bible does not preach a certain political perspective. I do not understand why a "Christian" like you would harp so much on your ideological viewpoints that have NOTHING, in many cases, in common with Jesus's teachings.

Notwithstanding your forays into political territory, though, I think you have a lot of good observations about the colleges you describe.

To the OP: You might look for colleges driven by a strong honor code (which may be secular or Christian), as well as those that celebrate their religious traditions in other ways. For example, if you are willing to venture outside CA, St. Olaf or St. John's in Minnesota come to mind. Both have fantastic choral music programs. You wouldn't have to sing in a choir but you would certainly benefit from the opportunity to hear uplifting music on a regular basis.
    btw, I really don't think GolfDaddy's problems have anything to do with me, altho as noted, he struggles with my truths and opinions. More so, I suspect he's just an angry fella, notably about his nagging guilt of what Christ has done for him, and he goes out and worships that God by playing 18 on Sunday mornings. Truly, I think this is the answer, Franko. No joke. He's mad at himself, and needs to consider Christ's message of forgiveness.

Sally, I would disagree. Politics is simply those things of the polity, i.e. people. The Bible is about God's relationship with His people. It's the purest of politics, and lends great insight into how we should behave toward others. I'd guess you've not recognized this truth, but it's pure politics. The box you've put God into doesn't fit. Way too confining.

As for my knowledge of higher education and notably Christian higher ed? I've forgotten more than most will ever know. Just saying. Get into a really good Bible study, maybe. Alpha Course or something like it. It'll help.

And btw, while not for this forum, you've exposed a common misconception, i.e. that Jesus was somehow this neutered independent libertarian who would never discuss sex, politics, or ... even religion. lol That would be a most intriguing examination that you'd enjoy. Me too.
    So you are a Dominionist. That explains a lot. I encourage others to read up on this particular faction of Christianity. I do not think it is at all what the OP is seeking, though.
    Is that like a dominatrix?:eek: A juvenile from Virginia?

I'll take the bait that you may enlighten readers. I've not a clue. Color me dumb. Can you 'splain some Sally gal what you're talking about? With baited breath, I await your analysis and explanation.

And to the OP, what do you think he/she's seeking? :confused:
    Excerpted from Wikipedia...you can dig around yourself on the intertubes and find more.

1. Dominionists celebrate Christian nationalism, in that they believe that the United States once was, and should once again be, a Christian nation. In this way, they deny the Enlightenment roots of American democracy.
    2. Dominionists promote religious supremacy, insofar as they generally do not respect the equality of other religions, or even other versions of Christianity.
    3. Dominionists endorse theocratic visions, insofar as they believe that the Ten Commandments, or "biblical law," should be the foundation of American law, and that the U.S. Constitution should be seen as a vehicle for implementing Biblical principles.
    In answer to your other question, I think the OP is seeking a tolerant place where he or she can explore ideas and challenge his/her own thinking on a variety of subjects. I think you gave this person good advice on many of the colleges you mentioned, as I said earlier.
    An interesting word, especially on this thread, might we agree. Probably not. ;)

"Tolerant"

I agree on your observations about counsel.

Re: Dominionist, thanks for the explanation. While I appreciate some of what they'd appear, your assuming I'm among them is an over-reach, misrepresentation. Not me. Unto Caesar, that which is Caesar's. Unto God, that which is God's. And may both get exactly and fully what is rightfully his/His.

btw, no matter how determined cultural revisionists have attempted to delimit, minimize, distort the values, experiences, and desires of our Founding Fathers, they were who they were, and they were genius in allowing God to work through them in their efforts to create a nation that none could have imagined before their efforts ...and none could or would replicate, even as they've tried ... and some are determined to destroy while replacing the freedom of opportunity with the mandate of equal mediocrity. And I'm of the mind that God is not happy with this last point. :eek:

btw, if you're correct and I believe you are, to the degree he/she gets his desire of less Christian, he'll get less Christian. ;)
    Less Christian or less "Christian"? Just calling oneself something doesn't make it so.

You are definitely a Dominionist. Your second-to-last paragraph makes this clear. At least as far as I understand it. :)
    I think you've substantially over-reached, not a clue what I "definitely" might be. But if it makes you feel good, have your way with me. Just be gentle. :cool: In any case, your exploratory is better fodder for your PM as I doubt anyone else is as fascinated with your need to name-calling as you seem to be. Be assured, despite your groping of the depths of my spiritual gall bladder, I've been called worse. ;) Just think of me as the next Joseph Smith or Jim Jones, pushing pomegranate kool-aid and pied-pipering poor innocents. :confused:
  • PhilovitistPhilovitist Registered User Posts: 2,739 Senior Member
    And as we have learned, the concepts, values, characteristics, and activities of a democracy cannot and never have existed in any non-Christian nation.

Um...how about Japan? Many sorts of Native American nations? Athens?

lol
This discussion has been closed.