Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Which Christian university would suit me? I have some liberal beliefs

124»

Replies to: Which Christian university would suit me? I have some liberal beliefs

• SoCalDad2SoCalDad2 Registered User Posts: 868 Member
    And as we have learned, the concepts, values, characteristics, and activities of a democracy cannot and never have existed in any non-Christian nation.

India? South Korea?
  • CreeklandCreekland Registered User Posts: 3,541 Senior Member
    Yeah... the US was based upon the Roman Republic... and that predated Christianity by a few hundred years... no revisionist history needed - just the normal kind.

I'm a Christian... somewhat conservative... ;)
  • Whistle PigWhistle Pig - Posts: 4,093 Senior Member
    I think we need some history instruction among this bunch. lol
  • sally305sally305 Registered User Posts: 7,604 Senior Member
    Whistle Pig, we do not need to continue our conversation. I apologize for putting you into a bucket. I should have said, "Your beliefs seem consistent with Christian dominionism." They are also perhaps more extreme than what the OP seems to be seeking. Perhaps he/she will come back and let us know.
    WP - why don't you start with our history lesson (start with the countries given - and the Roman Republic our system (republic, not democracy) was based upon). This could get interesting... Why are the above not counterexamples to your statement:
    the concepts, values, characteristics, and activities of a democracy cannot and never have existed in any non-Christian nation.

None of them are/were Christian in their dominant faith. All have concepts, values, characteristics, and activities of a democracy as much as the US ever has.
    sally, thanks for getting that bucket off my noggin. It doesn't fit, despite appreciating many of the ideals they purport.

Creekland, it seems your history and mine don't fit much. Did our FF borrow some from the Romans, Greeks, and others? Sure. None ever had synthesized anything close to the colonialists plan though. None ever have, either. Some have tried to mimick and have gotten some of it. But absent the essential values that all rights and privileges are god-ordained, not governmentally legislated central among those, 'tain't the same. Having siblings who've spent a combined nearly half century in 2 of the 3 countries held up, trust me. Nice, love the USA sorta, and not even close to our nation. As for India? Another fine place not congruent with the USA and our values. Are you familiar with caste systems? Do you know who elect the president of India? Sorry, you'll have to make the leap of these 3 or any others as being clones of the USA ... without me.
  • SoCalDad2SoCalDad2 Registered User Posts: 868 Member
    You have changed your argument, which is an implicit concession that you cannot support your argument. You started off arguing that "the concepts, values, characteristics, and activities of a democracy cannot and never have existed in any non-Christian nation." Presented with examples that disprove your thesis, you now say:
    Sorry, you'll have to make the leap of these 3 or any others as being clones of the USA ... without me.

I think most of us would agree that a non-Christian nation (or for that matter any nation other than the US) will not be a clone of the US! Also, the US probably is not a "Christian nation," unless you define that term in a manner that has little to do with the Christian religion.
    Whatever. ;)
  • casey1casey1 Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    Geez folks....definitely a lively conversation but a tad off topic from the OP question. No insult intended but can we redirect back to that question?
  • PhilovitistPhilovitist Registered User Posts: 2,739 Senior Member
    I don't see any reason to. A conversation is a conversation. :/
    I'm with SoCalDad on the discussion.

Casey - the OP goes back to August and hasn't been around since. If you want something similar, you might want to start your own thread. ;) Having quickly scrolled through the first few pages, the original advice/suggestions to the question is/are still valid.
    I think both casey and Creekland have it.

The thread has meandered. No matter if OP is "here" or on vacay or taking a sabbatical or crossed the bar. And for future users, it might be better to allow the conversation to continue on its own thread.

A conversation is a conversation, but a good teacher will keep the class on topic. For what it's worth from a primary felony offender. Put 'em in my cell, and I'll do my best to get them "scared straight!" :eek:
    Whistle Pig, you might consider heeding your own advice. Your posts #13 and #15 were where the thread really started to derail.
    sally, did you read #58? If not, give it a go. If so, re-read. :cool:
    Yes, WP, I was responding to that post. Is your threat directed at me? Somehow the comments have taken a very un-Christian turn. And I must confess that I struggle to follow your train of thought. In any case, I would prefer not to respond to you anymore. Have a good day.
124»
This discussion has been closed.