right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

What are some Christian colleges/universities that are REALLY Christian?

franko5150franko5150 658 replies31 threads Member
edited January 2014 in Christian Colleges
By that I mean what are Christian/Catholic institutions that are not liberal, but rather adhere to straight up conservative Christian values? Seems most have gone liberal.
edited January 2014
60 replies
Post edited by franko5150 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What are some Christian colleges/universities that are REALLY Christian?

• CreeklandCreekland 7334 replies95 threads Senior Member
    I guess this depends upon what you consider conservative...

Personally, I'd put Covenant, Union (TN), Bryan, Geneva, Biola, Cedarville, Grove City, & Liberty all on the list, but my list is not exclusive. They are just those that come to mind first thing in the morning.
    · Reply · Share
  • franko5150franko5150 658 replies31 threads Member
    Judeo-Christian ethics, pro-life, pro-traditional family I guess is what I'm thinking.
    · Reply · Share
  • uofcprideuofcpride - 21 replies5 threads New Member
    University of Chicago
    · Reply · Share
  • takeitallintakeitallin 3352 replies26 threads Senior Member
    Thomas Aquinas College in Santa Paula, CA. A very small Roman Catholic college that teaches a liberal arts based education- very conservative . It is in a beautiful location - sort of its own little community outside of town ( a small town).
    · Reply · Share
  • rachaelk13rachaelk13 6 replies0 threads New Member
    Calvin College in Grand Rapids, MI
    · Reply · Share
  • calla1calla1 2093 replies26 threads Senior Member
    Azusa Pacific. Point Loma Nazarene.
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks. I noticed Pepperdine U was not on the list.
    · Reply · Share
  • informativeinformative 1890 replies10 threads Senior Member
    If by conservative you mean goes by the original Christine doctrine created by the Roman Catholic church, Notre Dame is the probably the most well known and most catholic of the U.S. universities and it is still run largely by the Vatican. Catholic University in D.C. is another good option. I find that the Jesuit schools (Georgetown, Boston College) tend to be less strict in following the original Christine doctrine than these schools with direct Vatican oversight.

If by conservative you mean goes by politically conservative southern-style values, I would think Liberty would be high on the list. Or you could check out google for rankings like this one: Young America's Foundation - Top Conservative College List
    · Reply · Share
    Notre Dame is fine. I was just put off by Georgetown & the whole Sandra Fluke episode. Seriously, from a traditional Catholic viewpoint just wrong on so many levels. I just wondered if there were any universities still adhering to a strong stance on their founding principles. I was raised Catholic (now Reformed Congregationalist) so I'm fine with a Catholic college.
    · Reply · Share
  • atomomatomom 4763 replies41 threads Senior Member
    University of Dallas (small Catholic school), Christendom College (Catholic, in N. Virginia).
    See "The Newman Guide to Choosing a Catholic College" for a list of conservative Catholic colleges.
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks atomom, had never even heard of that.
    · Reply · Share
  • scmom12scmom12 3276 replies21 threads Senior Member
    Mercer in Georgia.
    · Reply · Share
    I looked that up, I noticed Notre Dame, Villanova, Boston College, Georgetown & several others did not even make the list. I'm assuming the colleges listed on that are stout Catholic U's. Very interesting.
    · Reply · Share
  • BigBadDadBigBadDad 97 replies11 threads Junior Member
    Hope College in Holland, MI. Samford in Alabama. Belmont in Tennessee
    · Reply · Share
  • Maddief95Maddief95 40 replies10 threads Junior Member
    I toured Hope College and it felt like I was stuck in some kind of strange- Leave it To Beaver- time warp. All of the people were happy and nice but it felt like they were almost too nice. They have good dorms and their facilities are also all new and updated.

Not for me, but maybe you would like it.
    · Reply · Share
  • atomomatomom 4763 replies41 threads Senior Member
    frank--yes, the Newman Guide includes colleges where you would expect the teachings of the Catholic Church to be upheld and taught. Many "Catholic" colleges allow those who actively disagree with Catholic doctrine to teach and promote dissenting opinions. (This has to do with the professors and administrators--not what the students do/believe, as non-Catholic students are welcome at Catholic schools.)

BTW, Notre Dame isn't run by the Vatican--not at all. It was run by the Congregation of the Holy Cross (Holy Cross Fathers) through 1967. Since then it has been governed by a Board of Fellows (which includes Holy Cross priests) and a Board of Trustees. Many liberal Catholics consider Notre Dame to be very conservative. Conservatives consider Notre Dame fairly liberal. IMO, it is middle-of-the-road among US Catholic colleges. There are many more liberal schools, and many more conservative.
    · Reply · Share
    "Thomas Aquinas College in Santa Paula, CA. A very small Roman Catholic college that teaches a liberal arts based education- very conservative . It is in a beautiful location - sort of its own little community outside of town ( a small town). " -
    Thanks, looked it up. The Great Books for the core curriculum remind me of St. Johns College or University of Chicago. Very interesting.
    · Reply · Share
  • ilcollegemomilcollegemom 42 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Wheaton College in IL is very conservative and consistently ranks well for academics
    · Reply · Share
  • AboveTheLawAboveTheLaw 28 replies0 threads Junior Member
    If you are referring to conservative politics, I would not consider Wheaton College (Illinois) a conservative school. During the 2008 election, when I was a student, the campus was pretty much split 50/50 McCain Obama according to a poll done by the campus newspaper. Also, Wheaton has huge and growing west coast hipster population.

and LOL at Georgetown being considered a Christian school. They sold out their Catholic identity decades ago.
    · Reply · Share
    The only Catholic university I had considered were Notre Dame (which is still on my reach list & for sure for grad school due to Dr. Mark Noll, historian), Georgetown (which dropped out), and Boston College which I'm still considering due to the strength & rigor of their history dept. Having being raised Catholic I think it would bug me to be a faux-Catholic university simply based on principle.
    Having said that my #1 choice for transferring at the moment is a state school not a private religous, Texas A & M, with ND as a reach for transfer. For grad school, I figure I'll still have 2 years to decide.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity