right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

In an exclusive AMA for College Confidential, Gaelle Pierre-Louis, a former college admissions officer, reveals surprising insights on the elite college application process. ASK HER ANYTHING!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, and Student Voices - vol. 3 eBooks NOW!

Non- Christian in a Christian School?

Maxi3lici0usMaxi3lici0us 8 replies4 threads New Member
edited September 2013 in Christian Colleges
I recently realized that almost all the schools I'm applying too are Catholic. I love the campuses and the opportunities and I do work hard but I also enjoy the occasional party (like once a week). I don't want to go to a party school because of the drugs but I also don't want to go to a school where they force religion down your throat.

These are the schools I'm applying too....
Pepperdine University
Chapman University
Santa Clara University
University of San Diego
University of San Francisco
Loyola Marymount University

Does anyone know which of these universities have a strict dry campus and no parties rule? Do all of them have bad social scenes? Which are more religious than others?

On a side note Im also applying to some UCs (UCLA, UCSD, UCSB, UCSC) and USC. But they will be considered High reach/ Dream.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!
edited September 2013
14 replies
Post edited by Maxi3lici0us on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Non- Christian in a Christian School?

• AboveTheLawAboveTheLaw 28 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Pepperdine is not Catholic (It's Protestant). I think it fits well with what you're looking for. It has rigorous academics and caring professors. There is definitely a party scene at Pepperdine, but it's mild compared to say, UCSB.

Pepperdine has students from all religious backgrounds, but they might have a convocation requirement. The campus overlooks the Pacific in Malibu!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • Maxi3lici0usMaxi3lici0us 8 replies4 threads New Member
    Thanks for the information AboveTheLaw! Sounds like a great school for me then.
    Do you know anything about the other schools?
    · Reply · Share
  • whenhenwhenhen 5530 replies111 threads Senior Member
    Chapman, LMU, and USD all have fairly popular party scenes although many USD students go to SDSU to party since well it's San Diego State. I believe USF has more prevalent marijuana usage than the other schools on your list although by no means do students at the other schools not inhale.

Chapman, USD, USF, LMU, and SCU are places where an atheist would feel comfortable (particularly Chapman and USF), since most of those operate in the Jesuit tradition which is open to other religious ideas. Pepperdine is by far the most religious school on your list and also one of the driest, although by no means is it like BYU.
    · Reply · Share
  • calla1calla1 2091 replies26 threads Senior Member
    Pepperdine has a wide mix of students. Yes, they do have a "convo" (religious service - convocation) requirement. But a non Christian would be very comfortable there. Its proximity to Malibu gives many opportunities for off-campus parties.

I have an atheist friend who is a professor at Loyola and who loves it there.

Chapman is not at all considered a religious school. I was surprised to see it listed here.
    · Reply · Share
  • calla1calla1 2091 replies26 threads Senior Member
    I don't think any of your schools would force religion down your throat, unlike, say, Westmont, Biola, Azusa, Point Loma.
    · Reply · Share
    I was specifically told by a Pepperdine tour guide that I would be a "Jewish pioneer" if I went there. Also check out Pepperdine's chapel requirements

Though it's not a Biola or APU, it's not a place I'd recommend to a non Christian.
    · Reply · Share
    So from what I've understood Pepperdine is one of the more religious schools but still has party opportunities. I might choose chapman over Pepperdine if I get in both because of the more balanced environment though. LMU, USF and USD are my safeties :)
    · Reply · Share
  • sosomenzasosomenza - 2091 replies31 threads Senior Member
    "Jewish pioneer" Ah no, not even close. BTW Catholic schools have been accepting Jewish students for a long, long time. Now the other hand, the University of Baghdad..... ?
    · Reply · Share
  • erelmu42erelmu42 4 replies0 threads New Member
    You might want to see if there are are Hillels that serve those schools - even if you are not Jewish, talking to the local Hillel's would probably give you some good feedback. You can search for the schools in Hillel's College Guide here: College Guide Search - Hillels Guide to Jewish Life at Colleges and Universities .
    · Reply · Share
  • asianamericansonasianamericanson 185 replies3 threads Junior Member
    I don't think any of your schools would force religion down your throat, unlike, say, Westmont, Biola, Azusa, Point Loma.

This whole "forcing religion" idea really needs to stop being parroted like some kind of authoritative mantra. What does "force religion" mean? Telling people what seems to be the truth about spiritual and metaphysical reality? Well then anyone who says what they think is true is "forcing their opinion on others" including yourself. Also, these are CHRISTIAN schools: the people who go there agree with the statement of faith and the rules of conduct. You can't agree to all that, and then walk around saying how you are being "forced" religion, no more than someone who signs up for med school is being "forced" biology.
    · Reply · Share
  • sally305sally305 7475 replies129 threads Senior Member
    I think there is a distinction between Catholic and "Christian" schools. I wouldn't worry about any of the schools on your list. We are not talking Liberty or Oral Roberts University.
    · Reply · Share
    BTW Catholic schools have been accepting Jewish students for a long, long time.
    There are some Catholic schools that welcome Jews and others that don't. I wouldn't have a problem at USD, LMU, or Georgetown. On the other hand, a Jew would have an issue at Thomas Aquinas College or the University of Dallas. Also Pepperdine isn't Catholic so I don't understand your point. It's more religious than most of the other schools on the OP's list and has a much smaller party scene than any of the other schools the OP listed. Like Sally said, it's not an Oral Roberts or even a Biola. However, the overt religiousness and chapel requirements may prove irritating for a non Christian. Not a school I'd recommend, especially when there are much less religious mid sized privates in Southern California that are academic equals with Pepperdine.
    · Reply · Share
    Whenhen, what are some schools in SoCal what are academic equals to Pepperdine?
    · Reply · Share
    I'd consider LMU and Chapman to be academic equals. I don't know enough about USD's rigor to comment, although I'd be surprised if it wouldn't challenge someone who's done reasonably well in school.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity