right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

Christian colleges with excellent English programs

beginattackrunbeginattackrun 0 replies1 threads New Member
After a great deal of deliberation I recently decided I wanted to major in English. My plan is to start attending my college of choice in the fall, and I was hoping some of you could tell me about some of the Christian colleges in the U.S. with excellent English undergraduate programs.
8 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Christian colleges with excellent English programs

• ConsolationConsolation 22898 replies184 threads Senior Member
    Generally, the more selective the school, and the more oriented towards liberal arts and less "vocational," the better the English program is likely to be. I would suggest looking at the course catalog. See how many professors there are in the department, and how many English majors. You don't want to see a host of survey courses. You want to see many courses covering specific authors, genres, time periods, etc. An example of a mid-range college with an inferior English department would be Juniata. (Not to pick on them, it is a respectable school and fine for many, but not for serious students of literature. I happened to look up their English department and its offerings a few years ago at someone's request.) I have no specific knowlege of any Christian schools in this regard.
    · Reply · Share
  • OvertheedgeOvertheedge 1202 replies1 threads Senior Member
    Look at Sewanee: The University of the South. It is affiliated with the Episcopal Church (although all faiths are welcome) and has an excellent English program.
    · Reply · Share
  • AJTB1962AJTB1962 1 replies0 threads New Member
    Check out Cornerstone University in Grand Rapids! Beautiful campus genuinely Christian.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 43436 replies473 threads Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    Cornerstone isn't known for English.
    Sewanee and Kenyon are Episcopalian but only affiliated. However, English at Kenyon is world-class and considered among the best in the country at Sewanee.
    Wheaton, IL, Calvin, Hope, Pepperdine would all be good if you want Evangelical Christian.
    If you're okay with Catholic colleges, Jesuit universities are really strong - Fordham, Georgetown, Holy Cross, UScranton are all different levels of selectivity and very good for English.
    edited October 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • Bekp2018Bekp2018 99 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Don't forget some of the very good Lutheran schools (St. Olaf, Concordia -Moorhead, Luther, Valpo ) which although they don't typically have the behavior codes like Wheaton, definitely have an active worship life on campus and seriously deal with how to make an impact in the world as a Christian.
    As a Calvin alum, and both my husband and I were English majors, I would be concerned about the stability of the department. Due to huge financial errors of the previous president, Calvin carries a staggering amount of debt. Humanities faculty numbers are being reduced by attrition, buyouts, elimination of majors (see the Grand Rapids Press article this week ), and layoffs.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 43436 replies473 threads Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    Shoot. Thanks for the link. What a horrible situation. It's really really sad. Calvin used to be a premier college but it sounds like with the cuts it's being reduced to a small regional school with little intellectual ambition:( I mean, 10 to15 years ago I knew Christian kids who turned down Stanford and ivies to attend Calvin. Based on the situation now, that would never happen.
    So, cross out Calvin from.my previous list.
    It's so sad though.
    I second the strong Lutheran colleges - St Olaf is a standout, Luther, Valparaiso, and Concordia Moorhead are pretty good too. I don't know much about Cal Lutheran and Pacific Lutheran.
    edited October 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • CreeklandCreekland 7341 replies95 threads Senior Member
    Has anyone noticed this thread is almost two years old? And the OP only had one post?
    · Reply · Share
  • saransmith36saransmith36 3 replies0 threads New Member
    yup Creekland i agree with your
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity