Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Looking for theology student at Emory

sbroughtonsbroughton Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
edited January 2010 in Christian Colleges
that would be willing to copy a book for me from the theological library at Emory. Here's the situation. The book is only 88 pages. It was printed in 1891 and is now out of print. It is a biography of my great, great, great, great aunt written by her sister also my aunt. I can only find one copy that someone is willing to sell and that want way more money than I can pay. I live in Florida and the nearest University that I can find it in is the theological library at Emory. I've tried interlibrary loan but they won't loan it out because it is too old. It is a four hour drive one way for me to go there. I would be willing to pay someone to copy it for me. Is anyone interested?
Post edited by sbroughton on

Replies to: Looking for theology student at Emory

• wildwoodscottwildwoodscott Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    You might not be too successful getting a response to your post.

Here are some reasons why: There probably are not too many Emory graduate students (especially those at Candler) on CC. The Christian Schools category will not likely be the place where the person you are seeking will be looking. If it is a rare book, the likelihood of the library permitting it to be flattened on a copier is remote.

If the book has been around since 1891, odds are that it will remain at Emory for the next few years. Perhaps you would have other reasons to visit Atlanta with which you could combine this venture at some point.

Finally, a question--how can your great-great-great-great aunt's sister also be your aunt??? That seems unlikely. The only way I can think of is if they married siblings of one of your great great great great grandparents. Just curious. Perhaps there are other ways to pull this off.
  • sbroughtonsbroughton Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    My great, great, great (I'm not sure how many greats) aunt died at a young age on her way to Brazil to be a missionary. Her sister, wrote a book about her (which would also be my aunt) life and published it. The book is not in special collections, I've talked with someone there at the library, on the phone. It is in the stacks if someone wished to check it out. It is not against the law to copy it as it is out of print. The book is not worth much in the way of being "collectable" it is just old. I've been researching the book for several months and there are copies in several university libraries, the closest one to me being Atlanta. It is highly unlikely I will be just "visiting" Atlanta, as I never have although I have been lots of other places. I have found one copy available for purchase but the seller wants several hundred dollars for it (they are a brand new seller on Amazon and even if the cost wasn't prohibitive, I would be hesitant as they have no seller history). I simply want a copy of the book since it is a member of my family that's all. Does any of this make sense. If this isn't the right forum to post to, then could you suggest one that would be appropriate?
  • EmanickEmanick Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    If I were you, I'd make a call to the university and say that you'd offer some money for somebody to copy it out and send it to you. I doubt that anybody at that particular college will see this thread, although it's possible.

I'm sure plenty of students there would be happy to be reasonably well-paid for some copying work, especially if it's really only 88 pages. :)
This discussion has been closed.