Im basically going to ED CMC. Ive done thorough research about CMC and Ive read from the catalog to Dan Evans "The Great Lie of Claremont McKenna College." These are some questions or concerns I have generated:
1. The Ath is one of the most important reasons why I like CMC. This is an opportunity and resource unparallelled at any other institute. The admissions officer at the information session also highly emphasized on this special toy of CMCers. However, I tend to find that when asked about their favorite thing about CMC, few, if any, bring up the Ath. Why do you think is this? Normally, how frequently do you go to the Ath?
2. How intense is the party scene? Im fine partying but I do not enjoy getting wasted two days a week. Is it hard to find a lot of friends, have a social life, or not be left out if I dont attend these parties regularly?
3. Ive heard a lot of CMCers with economics majors go into investment banking, finance, consulting, or accounting. Are there a lot who went into management? Im well aware financial analysis is crucial but I dont want to purely go into those professions.
4. How does CMC develop leadership except for academic programs like the leadership sequence and positions in the research institutes?
5. Ive found a lot of life at CMC isnt what I expected type of comments. I know this might be minority and it happens at every college but are there any insider tips sort of advice to give to potential CMCers? Things to avoid, things you would have done if you were a freshman again, what to expect, etc.
Ive heard of some CMCers being described as shallow, drunk, *******s, and dumb jocks while others I found to be aspiring, socially aware, and capable of initiating intelligent debates. Given the fact that the professors and opportunities are top notch, (Ive heard no opposition anywhere) I guess it all depends on how to spend my four years here and how to use the resources wisely.
Any advice, opinions, or comments would be highly appreciated. Thank you!