Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

My Chances!!!!!!

wf909wf909 Registered User Posts: 297 Junior Member
edited June 2007 in Claremont McKenna College
sophmore year: 1ST SEMESTER SECOND
bio A A
eng honors B B
geo honors B C+
pe A B
world history honors B A
spanish I B B
GPA 3.83 W 3.67 W

JUNIOR YEAR
1ST SEM 2ND SEM (CURRENT/GOING TO BE)
ANAT/PHYS A A
ALG II C+ C+
AP US A B+
SPAN II A A
ENG HONORS B B
CHEM B A
GPA- 3.67 W 3.67 W

EXTRA CURR:
ABOUT 700 HOURS OF COMMUNITY SERVICE 05-MAY 07
PRESIDENT OF INTERACT CLUB 06-07 AND NEXT YEAR
TREASURER OF BEST BUDDIES CLUB 06-07 AND NEXT YEAR
HONOR ROLL......
NATIONAL HONOR ROLL
1ST GENERATION COLLEGE STUDENT
LOW INCOME FAMILY

SAT I- 1700-1800 TAKING THEM 6/2
SAT II'S TAKING THEM OCT

I AM A CA RESIDENT!
Post edited by wf909 on

Replies to: My Chances!!!!!!

• skyhawkk08skyhawkk08 Registered User Posts: 430 Member
    Unlikely reach. Sorry.

I would say that the grades put you out of contention. C's can be a deal breaker. Keep in mind that there are tons of other great colleges out there. Good Luck!
  • wf909wf909 Registered User Posts: 297 Junior Member
    thanks a lot
  • Elizzan87Elizzan87 Registered User Posts: 110 Junior Member
    I would agree with skyhawkk. But that should not stop you from applying. You never know what they are looking for. And, you are applying to a small school that looks at the entire applicant. If you essays are AMAZING, and your recs are AMAZING, then you never never know.... but it would be a real reach.
  • citrusbeltcitrusbelt Registered User Posts: 226 Junior Member
    I agree. My first thought was, no way, but then I got to thinking because so many other factors come into play. You are much more then a pile of statistics. If you can convey who you are in your essay that will help. You are above a 3.5. This is good and you will have am excellent chance at most schools, but CMC is one of the most selective in the nation. At some of these schools one C practically dooms you, but 700 hours of community service is nothing to sneeze at, either. Especially if you come from a low income family. The fact that you reach out to help others says a lot. Go for it (you never know what can happen!), but don't hold your breath and don't be disappointed if you don't get in. Many excellent schools will give a chance to a diamond in the rough.
  • cantsaythatidocantsaythatido Registered User Posts: 107 Junior Member
    CMC is all about leadership, and it seems that your biggest leadership position was being president of a club. Now, if that club had dozens of members, was very active, accomplished a lot, got media coverage, etc. etc., you might have a better shot.
  • croutoncrouton Registered User Posts: 1,345 Senior Member
    its not your grades that are gonna put you out of contention, its your SAT scores... CMC is one of few schools that tends to weigh SATs more than GPA
This discussion has been closed.