Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Hi there! You may have noticed things have changed on this site. You can learn more about that here.

Merit Scholarship - Mckenna/Seaver Stats?

SantchienSantchien Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
edited October 2010 in Claremont McKenna College
I know the Merit Scholarships are very competitive. Can those who have won or have gotten into the interviews post their stats? Thanks
Post edited by Santchien on

Replies to: Merit Scholarship - Mckenna/Seaver Stats?

• santeriasanteria Registered User Posts: 462 Member
    i'm also interested in this
  • NewEnglandMotherNewEnglandMother Registered User Posts: 488 Member
    My D1 got the McKenna scholarship. I think it goes beyond stats (ec's, leadership etc.). She was a NMF, A Presidential Scholar Candidate, 35 ACT, UW 3.8 GPA (prep school). I would include that showing interest (visiting, interviewing) and region may count too. Good luck.
  • WMitchellWMitchell Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Santchien, as you noted the merit scholarships are very competitive. I'm a current McKenna Scholar, and the caliber of the other McKenna/Seaver winners (my roommate among them) often makes me wonder how I managed to get it in the first place.

As for stats, those aren't everything. With the exception of my ACT, I was solidly median or slightly above average for my incoming class. But what the scholarship is looking for is not necessarily walking perfect score; what they want are leaders, individuals who are going to set the standard not just in the classroom but in the real world.

Strong SATs and ACTs get your foot in the door, but only outstanding leadership potential and a little bit of luck will get you the scholarship.

Best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.