Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Parents of the HS Class of 2011 - We're awesome!

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2011 - We're awesome!

• bopperbopper Registered User Posts: 8,046 Senior Member
    My daughter will be switching jobs next month. There is another Special Ed teacher who seems to pick other teachers they don't like to bully and undermine and this time it was my DD's turn. Things like giving the students the answers to test questions and making up lies about students and calling their parents. My DD didn't feel like the Principal had her back so when a job opportunity came in email, she jumped on it. Her principal was reasonable enough to release her. She is excited to be able to teach more advanced math.
  • shawbridgeshawbridge Registered User Posts: 5,247 Senior Member
    Happy Thanksgiving.

My D is just about to accept a job. I'm helping her negotiate the final terms. It was her first interview. The scope of work (primary care) is perfect. The practice's mentoring approach is just what she wants. But, it isn't in Boston, where she'd like to be and has a new-found BF. Boston practices have enough applicants that they ask for X years of experience. She does have another interview with an specialty practice in an academic medical center. They would train her and she would, at age 23, have a faculty appointment at an academic medical center and would have the opportunity to do research. However, she really thinks she wants to start in primary care and perhaps later move to a specialty. I suggested that she see what the second place has to say as they have been wooing her, which is nice, before accepting the other position.
  • Sally22Sally22 Registered User Posts: 685 Member
    And so it begins...........

D has submitted first application for doctorate program.
  • RenaissanceMomRenaissanceMom Registered User Posts: 1,041 Senior Member
    ^yep, my son, too. Submitted 8 in the last few weeks and 3 grants. Fingers crossed.
  • AvonHSDadAvonHSDad Registered User Posts: 1,520 Senior Member
    @Sally22 and @RenaissanceMom - best wishes for success with your D's and S's grad school doctorate and grant apps!
  • arisamparisamp Registered User Posts: 1,290 Senior Member
    Good luck! Long road ahead for these kids, but it is so good to see them excited about new opportunities! D has been enjoying her first few months of medical school so far. A lot of studying - that's pretty much all they do. Since she's close by, we see her at least once a month which is super nice!
    Its's grad school admission result season. Anyone else going through the ups and downs?

D has a couple of offers she is very happy with- but still waiting on a few more before she decides.
    Yes, my son applied to 8 schools for a phd in neuroscience. Didn't get an interview at 3, which initially disappointed him. So far, he has been accepted to all four schools where he did interview (Mt. Sinai, NYU, UCSF and Yale). He leaves tomorrow for his 5th and last interview, which is at JHU. Once he hears from them, it will be decision time.
    ^^^

Wow! Great choices to have! Wishing him all the best today and with the decisions he has ahead.
  • shawbridgeshawbridge Registered User Posts: 5,247 Senior Member
    Sounds fantastic @RenaissanceMom.

No new grad school applications here. ShawD finished grad school in May, Took 3 months to travel and then a month to do disaster relief in North Carolina and one month to look for a job and accepted a job. She accepted a job and it took a couple of months before she could start working as the state forgot to send her her Nurse Practitioner certification and then the DEA took a while to send her its certification. She got an apartment in Western Massachusetts (1.5 hours from home) and really loves her work. She works hours from Monday-Thursday. While she was staying in Boston after returning from North Carolina, she met a guy who has now become a boyfriend and is driving back each weekend on Thursday nights and returning Sunday night or Monday AM. Not great for making new friends and she is living in a great town (lots of music and restaurants, young person's culture, etc.). Cheap rent compared to Boston (30% to 50% of Boston rent).

She is getting paid very well for a 23 yo and is planning to save quite a bit. I had her talk with my financial advisor about savings and how to handle money (e.g., put aside 3 months rent, figure out what your monthly expenses are, then figure out your tax deductions to figure out your tax bracket, then allocate to 401k (not matched), Roth IRA and post-tax savings (which all should be automated)).
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 11,952 Senior Member
    No grad school here but S just switched jobs from big company in Boston area to a start-up. Very happy. Loves living in Boston.
  • ordinarylivesordinarylives Registered User Posts: 2,892 Senior Member
    Waiting to hear from MSN programs. Yes, she's late in the cycle.
    Great news, everyone! @emilybee, my younger son is contemplating an internship in Boston this summer. He has an offer from a firm there and another in DC, and is in the midst of deciding which to take. He attends Tufts and really enjoys Boston. He grew up in a NYC suburb but thinks he may want to end up in Boston because he prefers it. We shall see.

@shawbridge, good luck to your daughter in her new position! She's lucky to have your advice regarding how to manage her spending and savings.

@Sally22, best of luck to your daughter. I bet she has wonderful options, too!

@ordinarylives, best of luck to your daughter, too! The wait to hear is definitely nerve wracking for them.
  • AvonHSDadAvonHSDad Registered User Posts: 1,520 Senior Member
    ^^^ Good news from many fronts for our 2011/2015 kids. Congrats to everyone on their jobs, grad school programs and general successes.
    DS will be working as a summer law associate in the Silicon Valley area this summer. He wants to take his car so it looks like he and I will make a mid-May, week long road trip out of it with several stops along the way for sight seeing, steakhouses, baseball games and of course a stop in Vegas. He is finished at the end of July and we will likely meet him in the Napa region for a few days to celebrate AvonMom's birthday before he has to return to law school for his last year.
    Sounds like a great road trip, @AvonHSDad. If my son ends up in SF, we'll have to figure out what's the best way of getting his stuff out there...a road trip w a rental, or shipping.