Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Parents of the HS Class of 2016 - 3.0 to 3.3 GPA

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2016 - 3.0 to 3.3 GPA

• eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 3,696 Senior Member
    Thanks, I have seen the other threads, this one just seemed a bit more focused on the parent side (versus the I got in thread). The main thread has been helpful, just not always things that are relatable (i.e. applying to multiple competitive summer programs to boost their chances, that kind of thing). It's good to see and know about and helpful for S19 but less so for S17.
  • MomStudent2017MomStudent2017 Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    @eandesmom ... I was also wondering how to start a similar thread for the class of 2017 ... post back if you figure it out.
  • BkbabeBkbabe Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    I'm also interested in a 2017 parents thread similar to this one @eandesmom @MomStudent2017
  • oldbrookieoldbrookie Registered User Posts: 140 Junior Member
    Another person interested in a 2017 parents thread @eandesmom .
    I'll start a general one in hopes they will move it :)
    @oldbrookie, @MomStudent2017, @Bkbabe

2017 thread started, hopefully with some traction it will get moved
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/1871275-parents-of-the-hs-class-of-2017-3-0-to-3-4-gpa.html#latest

I did expand it to 3.4 as that's the b-b+ range.
  • labegglabegg Registered User Posts: 2,554 Senior Member
    Yay, BeeDAre! So happy that she has made a decision! (A little sad that it's not OU...but if I couldn't convince my own kiddo to be a bobcat...) <:-P <:-P <:-P
  • BeeDAreBeeDAre Registered User Posts: 1,164 Senior Member
    Thanks, @labegg! While Muncie may not be Athens, at least it is half the distance from our home! (And after exploring Muncie a little more this trip, the downtown area actually has a lot going on..)
  • labegglabegg Registered User Posts: 2,554 Senior Member
    @lvvcsf; Yay, Yay, Yay... a newly minted Bobcat! So happy for your D!
  • Hankster1361Hankster1361 Registered User Posts: 138 Junior Member
    I have been reading this thread with interest. I would love to know where your 3.0-3.3 students with high test scores were admitted. Naviance and the other tools don't seem to be much help for the outliers. S17 is a junior, currently has a 3.2 GPA, 34 ACT, and 221 (1460/1520) PSAT. A couple of honors courses. No APs (but plans on 2 next year). Upward trend each year. Good but not great ECs. Homework/busy work in the past just didn't get done, and video gaming didn't help (though he seems to have gotten that somewhat under control this year). He is leaning towards engineering. Would appreciate any input based on your experience.
  • mstompermstomper Registered User Posts: 1,033 Senior Member
    @Hankster1361, our son had almost identical stats except for having more AP classes (also a downward trend Sophomore and Junior year. Depending on the state you live in he could be a NMSF. University Mississippi would be an automatic full tuition scholarship with his present numbers. Our son visited and liked it even though he's a liberal kid from the DC area. He settled on Temple, where he got a little over half tuition (total cost will probably be around 25K).
  • crowladycrowlady Registered User Posts: 1,098 Senior Member
    @Hankster1361 My son had the same PSAT score, slightly higher SAT, more APs, but even lower GPA. He was accepted to Tulane (the surprise!), Drexel, UMD (we are in state), UMass, UCSC, UMBC, Eckerd. He got merit $$ from all but Tulane & UMD. Some of these schools have engineering and might be good options for you. Drexel is not super hard to get into, has a respectable program, but is very expensive.

I know what you mean about outliers being hard to predict!
This discussion has been closed.