Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Parents of the HS Class of 2021

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2021

• JanieWalkerJanieWalker Registered User Posts: 245 Junior Member
    @mamaedefamilia thank you, you are kind. I am going through a rough patch with my youngest (D23) right now where she is nice to everyone but me, so your words were helpful to read. She’s a good kid, but ya know, mom-daughter stuff happens. Subject for another thread though. :)

• mamaedefamiliamamaedefamilia Registered User Posts: 3,200 Senior Member
    @JanieWalker Yes, they push the boundaries where they feel the safest doing so, AKA mom. 13-14 can be a snarly time. 15+ is better, IME. Also I found my younger D is a bit more, um, "assertive," than my firstborn. ;)
  • AndreaLynnAndreaLynn Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    @JanieWalker i hope the art work stays put. This mother daughter stuff is so hard.

Just catching up here, I was in Pittsburgh with my D for a Dance Competition. I was so proud of her, she for some reason was having a mental block with her tap solo, would get to a point and not remember a certain part and froze. This has been going on for a few weeks, she was stressing. It is not like her, she is a very strong tapper and never forgets dances, she can still do dances from a few years ago. Her rehearsal the week before we went away did not go well, she was having some issues with her choreographer who she usually gets a long great with. I think they were both having an off day. Up until a few hours before she was set to perform she was still working on it and stressing.over not being able to do it. She worked for hours to get it and finally did about 2 hours before she went on. I was so nervous for her, and when she got past that point successfully I cried I was so relieved for her. She didn't place in the overalls, but to me a personal win was better.
  • kartaqueenkartaqueen Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    DS is taking the F=ma exam today before school and has been studying for it for a few months - he is nervous. He really hopes to qualify to get to the next level and based on practice exams he has a great shot but it will be close. It just so happens today is the day that his high school allows sophomores to get one of the few remaining parking spots as juniors/seniors get them first. They give them out on a first-come, first-serve basis...

It would be very, very nice if he gets a spot as he is taking an advanced math course at a nearby college, as he completed AP Calc BC last year so is out of math to take. The course at the college begins at one, so he is only at school a half-day. If he does not get the parking spot, either my husband or I will have to go get him every day....arrrggghhhh!!!

He reached out to the GC to ask if they would hold him a pass since he was taking the physics competition before school and therefore cannot get there very early but they will not do it. The school has actually been great and very flexible with him but I really think this is crazy, but am very biased...My husband wants to go yell at them and I do too but both realize it is pointless plus we need their recommendations...it just seems that schools often get in the way more than they actually teach/help. Sorry for the rant but does anyone think I am unreasonable to think they should hold the spot for him? I am very confident there are no other kids that have academic needs for the parking spot.
    @kartaqueen good luck to your son on the exam!

I don’t think you are being unreasonable at all about the parking pass, fwiw - but I also agree with you that it would be unwise to irritate the people you need on your son’s side for recommendations etc.
    @kartaqueen, yay! That’s awesome. 😊
  • burghdadburghdad Registered User Posts: 577 Member
    @kartaqueen I still trying to get over the fact that your son took AP Calc BC in 9th grade and has no more Math classes he can take. Very impressive.
  • kartaqueenkartaqueen Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    @burghdad He is definitely a STEM kid and did independent study for much of his math over the years...we have been quite fortunate to identify opportunities to keep him challenged and his HS has actually been quite good at letting him do what he wants to do. We are lucky to live in an area where there are quite a few kids that are very advanced.
  • 3SailAway3SailAway Registered User Posts: 333 Member
    @AndreaLynn I so identify with the tap solo! Thank goodness I'll never have a child in the Olympics. I would definitely not be able to watch--especially figure skating.
  • Momma2018Momma2018 Registered User Posts: 426 Member
    S21 has started getting tons of emails from colleges. This seems much earlier than S18 - he must have checked off a box when he took the PSAT10. He keeps saying have you ever heard of XYZ U? LOL
  • AndreaLynnAndreaLynn Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    D21 also is getting tons of mail. I don’t know about emails but she has gotten from almost 30 schools mailings in the past 4 days 😂. She keeps them on a folder until she has time to look through them.
  • HillCountryHillCountry Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    DD got more mails than us now. At least it’s not full blown catalogue. The letters have her login Id and password and ask her to sign on to request more information.
  • Rue4Rue4 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    DD put my email down on the PSAT (she has one, but hardly uses it) and so now I'm the one getting 10+ emails a day, and sometimes multiple times a day from the same school. 50% we have never heard of. We started putting all her mail in a box in the garage after she looks through it. Figured it would be fun to see how much comes and recycle it all at once later on.
  • 3SailAway3SailAway Registered User Posts: 333 Member
    Is anyone else's kid waiting for midterm grades? D21's Latin midterm was really tough. She has great study skills and put in so much time, but she is dyslexic and has trouble with all those super similar endings :-O . Fingers crossed for Latin and also AP Euro, which is so heavy on memorization.

DH and I don't push, punish or reward with grades. We just support and encourage, but D21 sets very high standards for herself!