Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Parents of the HS Class of 2022

1111213141517»

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2022

• Houston1021Houston1021 Forum Champion Rice Posts: 863 Forum Champion
    edited January 20
  • LuanneLuanne Registered User Posts: 23 Junior Member
    S22 is starting scheduling for 10th grade. They had an assembly to go over it with the kids, but he missed it. We've had 4 snow days this week, so he hasn't been back, lol. He'll get the form tomorrow. We can set up a parent/student/counselor meeting in the next couple of weeks. But, he has space for 2 electives next year. He has a short list of AP Statistics, Intro to Engineering Design, Mechatronics 2, and maybe a programming class that would be online. He keeps changing his mind about how he'll prioritize them.
  • vistajayvistajay Registered User Posts: 1,329 Senior Member
    @luanne, my kid would kill for that schedule. He's at a very traditional, Jesuit school heavy on the liberal arts. But it's a good fit for him in other ways. Best of luck to your kiddo!
  • mom2twogirlsmom2twogirls Registered User Posts: 2,025 Senior Member
    I hope he ends up with a schedule he enjoys @luanne!
    My d23 made her choices a few weeks ago, but we won’t know anything for quite awhile. Sometime in spring we should hear if there are any conflicts, but her final schedule won’t be available until August.
    She’s planning on doubling up on math and sciences, crazy kid 😂
  • OrangeFishOrangeFish Registered User Posts: 668 Member
    Nice schedule @Luanne ! My S does not have a great deal of options in his schedule as he wants to take four years of orchestra. He does not meet with his school counselor for another two weeks, and then he will submit his schedule request.
  • LuanneLuanne Registered User Posts: 23 Junior Member
    @OrangeFish when my D gets there, she'll likely be in either band or orchestra, so fewer choices. S does marching band, but it is only after school and not a school-day elective.

While they do the paperwork in Feb., they don't get their schedules until August. So, hopefully he gets what he wants, but I know sometimes there are conflicts. The required classes are: pre-calc, Chinese 3, chemistry, and a language arts and social studies class. He has a couple options for the English and social studies class. We were happy to see he had quite a few elective choices for next year!
  • sfSTEMsfSTEM Registered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
    edited February 2
    S22's choices for 10th grade are limited. He has 8 classes, and the schedule is mostly set. Religion is required (Catholic school). He has two engineering courses, because he's in the Engineering Program (Javascript, Advanced Engineering). And then the classic stuff: english, math, science, spanish, social science. The possible variations? Which science to take: Chemistry or Physics (Chemistry likely). And which history to take: AP World History or Modern World History. He'll likely hold off on AP, he's a happy STEM warrior. He'll keep his focus on the STEM courses.
  • vistajayvistajay Registered User Posts: 1,329 Senior Member
    S22 got promoted to the varsity soccer squad for the playoffs! First round he did not play, in the quarters he was in for about ten minutes, but then in the semifinals he played over half the game as his team won to advance to the state finals this weekend! Being on the varsity soccer team is a huge deal at his school, and there is almost never a freshman on the team. He is having a great soccer year.