Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Parents of the HS Class of 2022

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2022

• OrangeFishOrangeFish Registered User Posts: 772 Member
    Not looking at AP courses yet. At this point we are simply trying to plan out courses so he's able to fit in four years of orchestra, plus the new graduation requirements our state will have in place for students starting 9th grade in 2018-2019.
  • sfSTEMsfSTEM Registered User Posts: 122 Junior Member
    @Rivet2000 I'm thinking something similar with APs per year. 0 in 9th, 1 in 10th, 2 in 11th, 2 in 12th. Challenge is to see if these can be kept only STEM courses.
    Maybe we will not need to be concerned with AP courses? Harvard will no longer give credit for AP/IB courses starting with the class of 2020. Maybe other schools will follow their lead?

https://oue.fas.harvard.edu/advanced-standing
  • vistajayvistajay Registered User Posts: 1,393 Senior Member
    Our HS is the same: 0 in 9th, 1 in 10th, 1 in 11th, but then ramped up a bit in 12th with 4-5. I thought our HS was a bit traditional in that sense, with most schools offering far more APs.
    @OrangeFish A couple well known privates here in San Francisco have dropped AP courses. Doesn't appear to have affected college placements for their students.
  • Rivet2000Rivet2000 Registered User Posts: 822 Member
    Two things to check/consider. The high school our D will be attending in the fall weights AP classes slightly more than honors classes. So, for her, taking a few APs will help in class ranking and weighted GPA (both of which are considered by many/most colleges). Also, AP's are typically considered by many colleges when they look at course rigor.
  • 1822mom1822mom Registered User Posts: 612 Member
    I hate to think that it's time for me to start doing this again, but here I am! I've got a D22 and a D18 who has just made it through this process (nice to see so many fellow 18ers in here!). These kids are similar in a lot of ways but also very different, and it really feels like starting from scratch! D22 is my baby and I'm looking forward to enjoying these 4 years with her before my nest is empty! :(( Just like when they were babies, it goes by so fast... My plan is to disappear from here for awhile to take a break from the madness and catch my breathe until late sophomore year.

But...

I'm interested in the class choice discussion because I really am starting from scratch. D18 is finishing up in an IB program in CA, this summer we move to TX where D22 will attend a school with AP.... and PreAP which is weighted in the GPA the same as AP and presumably has a similar rigor. I feel a bit out of my depth trying to understand how to advise her on class selection. 1) I don't really get how AP works, IB was pretty straightforward, you just follow a path laid out for you, pick your IB courses in Jr year but otherwise, not much to think about, seems like a lot more choices with AP/PreAP, 2) I am conflicted as to how much "rigor" this kid can handle especially with the upheaval of a move and a new school. I mean, I don't want to shortchange her, she's a good, conscientious student, but I also don't want to overload her. I just have no real metric for how difficult these classes are really going to be for her.

An additional factor is that GPA and class rank are a huge deal in TX because of the way their public universities guarantee admissions. We've already decided that we are not going to bother trying to play the ranking game, but I don't want to deliberately spike her either. I think our main goal is to make sure she has a nice balance, I just can't figure out what that is. :-??

As far as AP and college, I think getting credit is nice, but the primary purpose of these classes is to show rigor in your course work and because AP is a relatively standardized curriculum, colleges know what is generally expected of kids who take those classes, even if there is a wide variation in terms of actual classroom experience.
    @1822mom I'm trying to be conscious of not overwhelming my son early on. No APs 9th grade, 1 AP in 10th. I'm looking at courses that play more to his strengths (STEM classes, e.g. AP Statistics) while avoiding APs where he's likely to find it really tough (e.g. AP US History). Of course, he'll have a strong vote in what all he takes.
    That was our approach with our S. In the end none of his APs were accepted at his chosen college, but then again that is not why he took them.
    I have learned with D19 that it's best to earn an A in an honors class to get the .5 grade bump to a 4.5 then earn a B- in an AP class for the 1.0 bump to a 3.7. :-) Each student (and school system) is different.
    Best yet is to get a A in the AP class ;)
    edited April 2018
    @OrangeFish OK, that was kind of a flip answer, but you're right. The trick is optimize course selection. As mentioned in a previous post, I think the best way is to consider AP in areas of strength and interest.
    I agree, @Rivet2000 -- as I mentioned in a previous post, each student (and school system) is different. Identify opportunities for success based on strengths. A goal of "all AP/IB courses and all As required" is not the best option for some students (including those in my household :) ).
  • 1822mom1822mom Registered User Posts: 612 Member
    Totally agree with everything you all have said. Once size does not fit all. I think half my problem is that we are moving to a new school/district where I have no experience. If we were staying here and she was going to a different school from my D18 (as she would have) I still would have had a basic understanding of what to expect from each level/type of class.

D22 is definitely more of a humanities kid. So we'll be tilting in that direction for sure.
  • mom2twogirlsmom2twogirls Registered User Posts: 2,192 Senior Member
    Oh, hey, I was oblivious that this thread had been started. I have an older d19 (hey there @OrangeFish ) and a younger d22.

My d22 is a classic introvert who is also witty, sometimes snarky, mostly full of realistic confidence and tends to be a great —sometimes tough— judge of both herself and others. When she is hungry, stressed or tired, she tends to turn it outward (rather than inward as my older d does). It takes longer to gain her respect and confidences than it does for most people (like me, I tend to be pretty open) but once you are in, you are amazed at how strong her personality really is. She is way tougher than she seems on the outside. She tends to always be full of reasonably realistic hopes and dreams and also is able to be flexible and change them when she sees they won’t work. This ride with her should certainly be interesting!

We live in a nice public school district in NY. She was able to take french 1, algebra h and living environment h this school year, as an 8th grader. Typically, 9th graders in our district on that math/science track take earth science (a few allowed to take chemistry, if they are strong math/science students), pre APWH/Global Studies 1, English 9, geometry, foreign language 2, band/art/DDP, PE, study hall and lunch— honors options available for the core classes. D19 (and her friends) have always taken an extra class each year so that they have either study hall or lunch, not both. D22 has had the opportunity to see how everything has worked out for her sister and friends, and plenty of time to make her plans. She walked into her counselor meeting in early February knowing exactly what she wanted. Her requests (we won’t get the schedule until August):

-Chemistry H
    -Geometry H
    -French 2 H (she considered non honors but her teacher told her she would be bored in regular, so she will try it. D19 hates Spanish 2H and has enjoyed nonhonors Spanish 3&4)
    -English 9H
    -PreAPWH (they split APWH into 2 years here since global studies is also split into 2 years)
    -DDP (for those not aware, its design and drawing for production, and engineering based course that also counts as art)
    -PE (required all 4 years)
    -Health 1&2 (graduation requirements, she may not get into health 2 as upperclassmen get priority, she requested an intro to business course as an alternative)

She does not want 2 free periods a day. She wants either lunch or study hall, not both. Some other kids were discouraged from some of these options, but she wasn’t asking, she was telling them was she wanted (courteously assertive is the phrase we use) and they didn’t blink.

She is super ready for high school. I also couldn’t be more pleased with how much she has grown in middle school.