Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Parents of the HS Class of 2022

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2022

• sfSTEMsfSTEM Registered User Posts: 122 Junior Member
    edited April 2018
    Here's an interesting situation for us. DS's high school has him slotted currently to be in Algebra II/Trig for 9th grade. This is a preliminary schedule, which could change (math placement test next weekend).

Assuming this assignment sticks, that means skipping Geometry. It also means Calculus BC senior year would be an option for him (they do AB full year, BC as a follow-on semester long course). Given his STEM orientation, that would be great.

Here's our issue: the University of California system requires a year of Geometry (something @ucbalumnus alerted me to). While it's way too early to know if DS will attend a UC, we certainly don't want to preclude that option. So we likely will have him do Geometry as a summer school class after 9th grade. And if lucky, perhaps he can find some sort of job too.

Obviously this is something we'll discuss with his academic advisor, or his math placement could change. But the college path is already creeping into our thinking. So soon!
  • mom2twogirlsmom2twogirls Registered User Posts: 2,194 Senior Member
    I don’t understand why they would recommend he skip geometry?
    @mom2twogirls They do that if they think you're ready to handle the more advanced math. By taking the Alg II/Trig earlier, you're able to take most advanced math later. UC used to be OK with accepting that Geometry is "folded in" to other courses you take. But not anymore (as of 2015).

It raises the question: should kids be slowed down to accommodate UC's requirement? Or do you press forward and make adjustments as you go along?
    It just seems to me like they are putting a lot of pressure on kids to make sure they learn the geometry on their own. I can see them being fine in algebra 2 without it, but I would worry about gaps in knowledge for some of the higher level math and science classes, as well at SAT/ACT.

It makes less sense to do it this way and then also have kids repeating sections of calc. So 9th would be Algebra 2/trig, 10th would be precalc, 11th would be AB (which half the year is precalc review), 12th is BC (half the year calc 1 review)?

My d22 is on track to take 9th geometry, 10th Algebra 2, 11th precalc, 12th BC. However, they do currently have the option at our school to double up and take algebra 2/precalc in the same year. If that doesn’t change before she gets to 10th grade, she likely will take both algebra 2 and precalc in 10th, BC in 11th, and calc 3 in 12th.
    Yeah, that works for schools that do BC as the full year option (you'd take BC rather than AB). At DS's high school, you take AB then BC if you want to go that far.

The Calc BC is only a semester long at his (upcoming) school. So you don't spend time reviewing past material. You just get on with the next lessons after AB.

So then it’s really just the C part of BC (calc 2)?
    Do they do AB similarly and only have it a half year course, teaching just the B part?

My older d19 is currently in Calc BC. I know that her midterm was an old Calc AB AP exam. Since they had to take Precalc as a prerequisite for BC, they did very little to no real precalc review. The first semester was all calc 2 concepts and now is calc 2 concepts.

It’s so interesting (and sometimes confusing) howndifferently schools handle curriculums. Makes me grateful we haven’t had to change schools.
  • glidoglido Registered User Posts: 5,980 Senior Member
    I would recommend you find a way for your DS to take Geometry in the summer or during the school year. Skipping Geometry could pose problem down the road. Best of luck.
    Thanks @glido. We are definitely planning on summer Geometry. For UC's it's a hard requirement, and from what I can tell some other schools expect it as well.
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 1,555 Senior Member
    My D22 is attending a day school that eliminated AP courses last year and I'm ok with that! Her school also sequences Algebra II immediately after Algebra I, which is different than our public school (where my S19 currently attends). D20 is at yet a third school (boards) and She just slogged through the AP chem test yesterday.
    My d19 took the AP Chem test yesterday too.
    I would be fine with the school not offering APs as long as they had equally challenging options in place of them.
  • DCNatFanDCNatFan Registered User Posts: 604 Member
    S22 is taking Spanish in 7th and 8th grade. They spread it out over a full year so 1A in 7th and 1B in 8th. He got a B in 1A and is likely headed for a B in 1B. He mentioned several of his classmates are retaking it next year because they also got Bs and think if they re-take they will get an easy A. Not sure if I want him to go this route or just take the B and move on.
    Also, looks like he is headed for a B in Algebra 1B after getting an A in Algebra 1A.
    Just finishing up the grade stress with D19 and now it is starting all over again.
  • OrangeFishOrangeFish Registered User Posts: 772 Member
    S22 is finishing up German 1 in 8th grade and plans to take German up to German 4. He also plans to fit in four years of orchestra in high school. We are already trying to maximize GPA, which makes me sad, as my D19 is struggling with her GPA.
  • Rivet2000Rivet2000 Registered User Posts: 827 Member
    D22 finished her 3rd year of Spanish (8th grade) and placed into honors Spanish in HS. Plans to continue with Spanish in all 4 years of HS.
    My d22 is taking French. My d19 took Spanish and hated it until 10th grade. D22 decided to try something different from her sister. She’s also giving French 2 honors a shot next year, even though her sister hated the curriculum for Spanish 2 Honors (she started enjoying Spanish more when she dropped honors). D22 was going to take nonhonors but her teacher convinced her she would be bored.
    S22 has been taking Spanish for several years in middle school. But it was with three different teachers, the first two of which weren't very good. His 8th grade teacher is much better, he's actually learning it. But the dye is cast from the earlier years: he's not a fan of Spanish (not the language specifically, he'd feel the same about French) and isn't too strong in it. So we plan for him to do Spanish 1 in 9th grade. As he's a STEM kid, not concerned about him being less advanced in foreign language. But he ought to have at least 3 years of it.