Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Parents of the HS Class of 2022

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2022

• Rivet2000Rivet2000 Registered User Posts: 749 Member
    Hello all. I'm from TX and have a daughter getting ready to attend a large public high school (~4,000) in the fall. We have a S16 who just finished his sophomore year at Stanford (a happy, hard working student).
  • sfSTEMsfSTEM Registered User Posts: 119 Junior Member
    Hi @Rivet2000 - I enjoyed your spirited debate on the CS thread (does the college matter for CS major?). Look forward to our next four years of parenting high schoolers. I've got two kids, my rising 9th grade son is my oldest.
  • sewemmasewemma Registered User Posts: 187 Junior Member
    Hi Rivet2000, One of my favorite CCers is from Austin. She’s one of my favorite people IRL too!

• CollegecueCollegecue Registered User Posts: 175 Junior Member
    @sewemma so true, I am glad I won't have 2 in at the same time but I feel like my ds22 is soooo much younger than my ds17 was at this time.
    Collegecue- yep, I get it. My kids are 29, 26, and 14 (on Sunday). We went to NYC yesterday to see Waitress on Broadway. My 26 yr old met us for lunch. We rarely get to see him, so it was a real treat. But he’s definitely more like an uncle than a brother. It’s like having two different families when they are so far apart. As yours get older the gap will close.
    Leaving today to pick up D22 from her biotech camp. Added benefit is that our S is still on campus so we'll all be together. So, nice dinner with S tonight. Pick up D22 tomorrow morning, brunch, then a day trip up the coast. We'll all be together for the World cup final on Sunday, then fly back home. Nice.
    Nice thread for those of us with kids about to start high school:

"What is the one thing you wish you knew when your kid started HS?"
    https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/2088895-what-is-the-one-thing-you-wish-you-knew-when-your-kid-started-hs-p1.html
  • InfoQuestMomInfoQuestMom Registered User Posts: 217 Junior Member
    My daughter just finished her Girl Scouts Theater camp. She had a blast, delved deep into social justice themes with her fellow members, and created and put up a performance that was simply amazing. She has grown so much in these three weeks!

We have a one week family vacation, then a couple of weeks rest before she has her school band camp the week before school starts for everyone. She has her registration the same week of band camp. We will see then what her actual schedule looks like.

Back to school is August 22nd. When does everyone else go back to school?
  • mom2twogirlsmom2twogirls Registered User Posts: 2,065 Senior Member
    We start right after Labor Day.
    My son has new student orientation Aug 13, first day of class Aug 16. About a month left in the summer for him.
    My daughter has a two day conference for the CAR (Children of the American Revolution) and a week long choir camp. While she’s doing that, I’m vacationing in Italy for two and a half weeks! She is a WEB (mentor to 7th graders) leader at school, so goes for orientation on August 22 & 23. Then goes back with the 7th graders on Aug 28. Her official first day of classes is August 29. Her middle school is grades 7,8,9. So she’s not in the actual high school till 10th grade.
    D22 had a great time at her biotech camp. The things she mention most:

1. How interesting it was to have fellow students from around the world- Sweden, China, Singapore, Japan, and more.
    2. How it was great attending classes where everyone was completely interested and engaged with the topic.
  • NolaCARNolaCAR Registered User Posts: 259 Junior Member
    @Collegecue I just read your recent posts on the Class of 2017 thread. Glad your DS17 is so happy at Kentucky. I also have a HS Class of 2017 child (who was less happy with her college but has come around to liking it) and a HS class of 2022 child. My only 2. Do you have other children?
  • LuanneLuanne Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    This is my first post, but I have been reading a bit. My oldest is going into 9th this year. We have 2 more following him for class of 2024 and 2026. I have a lot to learn!
    Son returned home last Friday from CTY camp in Seattle. Next couple weeks are dedicated to finishing up an English assignment due the first day of high school. A series of questions related to a summer reading. He chose The Boys Who Challenged Hitler.