right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Concerned about how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes? Join us for a webinar on Thu, Apr. 9 at 5pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

Parents of the HS Class of 2020 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2020 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

• mom2jgdmom2jgd 97 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @scoutmom2002 SO EXCITING! And a good lesson for the rest of us with kids who wouldn't likely call to try and get the EA/RD thing straightened out. Follow up is important, and has its rewards!
    · Reply · Share
  • scoutmom2002scoutmom2002 265 replies27 threads Junior Member
    edited February 11
    @Momofmanytoo - decision time...still waiting to hear from CNU (EA deferred to RD) and W&M (Hail Mary reach school).

UMW was her top pick because of fit and they offered the 5-year MEd Program - but now we just learned that they are discontinuing the program as the website now states: "New admittance into the 5-year programs will be discontinued starting Fall 2020. Please refer to our new 4-year programs (pending final approval by SCHEV)."

D20 is worried about making the wrong decision - she wants to revisit schools she is accepted to and I think their programs offered in Education will weigh heavily.

"UMW will now offer Four-year Programs in their College of Education:
    In response to a recent change in state regulations that allow for an undergraduate major in education, as well as a statewide shortage of teachers, we will be offering four-year paths to teacher licensure beginning in Fall 2020, pending final approval by SCHEV. The four-year licensure pathways include a B.S.Ed. in Elementary Education with a major in education, and programs in secondary, PK12, or special education. All students who apply to the College of Education in the Fall of 2020 will be required to do the four-year programs as the five-year programs will no longer be offered.

Opportunities for graduates to complete an accelerated master’s degree while they are teaching full-time is in development and will be available for students entering the four-year programs."
    edited February 11
    · Reply · Share
  • eb23282eb23282 732 replies19 threads Member
    Oooh, plot twist. Didn't see that coming. You're having one heck of an interesting college journey @scoutmom2002. Keep us posted! BTW, what's the latest with S? ODU still on the table or is he sticking with VMI?
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 11
    @eb23282 - yes, the plot thickens for D20 indeed. She was also accepted to Radford (which apparently still has the 4+1 MEd Program) but that might change too based on recent state regs. Also in at Longwood.

But D20 would still prefer UMW over Radford/Longwood I think but one never knows - hence the admit day visits/discussions about program offerings in Education will be crucial.

UMW has Admit Day on March 21, RU/Longwood in April. So we are setting those up now on our calendar while waiting to hear from CNU and W&M.

Thanks for asking about S20 - he's sticking with VMI. ODU coach never showed up to any of the games.
    edited February 11
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 21
    @ITBgirl - has he attended any of their formal Admit Days? Has he reached out to professors in the department/colleges he is interested in to get more information on the degree program he's interested in?
    edited February 21
    · Reply · Share
  • ljasnauljasnau 65 replies4 threads Junior Member
    @ITBgirl same! My daughter will not make a decision between 2 schools she is back and forth and all over the place. I'm actually a little glad now that we have until 5/1/20 because at this point I'm scared to make a deposit.
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofmanytooMomofmanytoo 224 replies13 threads Junior Member
    edited February 21
    @ITBgirl I had this situation with one of the twins. I took her on back to back admit days last weekend and suggested that there was no better time to choose, given that the visits/impressions were fresh in her mind. If she waited any longer, her memory might fade. The following Tuesday she came home from school, ready to commit. The only reason to choose before May 1 was that one school's housing was on a first come, first serve basis. I did not want her to be last in line for housing in such a big school. I think she bought that logic. However, as I said in another thread, I'm half relieved, half feeling a FOBO type of thing. But what matters is that she is confident in her decision. I'll get there. Still working on kid #2. :)
    edited February 21
    · Reply · Share
  • cshell2cshell2 957 replies11 threads Member
    We have major waffling going on lately too, but there are two he should be able to just back out of. I should have him do that this weekend because he got large scholarships from both of them. May as well let them throw that money back in the pool. I know we're hoping for money that might come available at one of his top choice schools. They told us that happens every year.

His top two schools he can't decide between to save his life. We went to an admitted student day at one last week and will do the other next week. His third choice school is offering him almost a full ride, so that's really hard to ignore as well. I just wish one was a clear winner and we could be done and be all-in at one instead of all this trying to keep up with all the dates. He's already got housing contracts secured with his first two choices and has technically accepted his admission at one, but it's a 90% refundable deposit that we had to do to get on the housing list.
    · Reply · Share
  • ITBgirlITBgirl 466 replies12 threads Member
    I am ready to get on the housing list and start moving forward but I don’t want to push.

@scoutmom2002 -yes we just did the admitted student day at his top school and had a private tour with a current student of the business school. He felt great about everything we saw, and they answered many of our questions.

You know how some people (men) will move so slowly when backing out of a parking space when they clearly see someone waiting for it? I think it’s a possession thing, he just doesn’t want to give up anything yet that he has earned. And he keeps asking what it something goes wrong and he needs a fall back plan? I guess there is no harm in waiting until May 1 if we have to. I think when he gets his last response on 3/30 he will be able to firm up his plans, I hope!
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 21
    @ITBgirl - when you stated "...I think when he gets his last response on 3/30..." it makes more sense....he is waiting, just like my D20 to hear back from all schools applied to before making any firm decisions. We are also still waiting for financial aid packages to come in - we were told within coming weeks we'd get them.

@Momofmanytoo and @cshell2 -- that's my worry too -- getting on the housing list.

Would it be bad to go ahead and put deposit down at UMW and then if she gets into and decides to go to CNU or W&M she would hopefully get some of deposit back?
    edited February 21
    · Reply · Share
    For D19, we put a deposit down in order to get early housing secured, but then she changed her mind so we deferred our acceptance and got the deposit back.
    · Reply · Share
    Awesome @ITBgirl!! That's a great feeling for sure! And I've heard only fantastic things about App State.
    · Reply · Share
  • WorriedKnightWorriedKnight 19 replies2 threads Junior Member
    @thedreamydaisy That's great! Going to cc for a couple years will be such a cost savings! University of New Mexico does in-state rates for transfer students based on gpa - you can check on their scholarship page. They have 150% in-state tuition for WUE if full in-state criteria are not met.

And technically, if your son had any interest, he could still slide in for this fall, and possibly get in-state tuition (a reasonable 7556 per year!) - deadline has been extended to March 30!

Did the girlfriend fade out?
    · Reply · Share
  • ljasnauljasnau 65 replies4 threads Junior Member
    @ITBgirl congrats on your son making a decision. I love App, such a beautiful place. I am soooo hoping with our last admitted student day to ECU that my daughter will finally make her decision on either ECU or App. At this point I'll be happy with whatever she decides. I'm just ready for a decision.
    · Reply · Share
  • Marcie123Marcie123 424 replies33 threads Member
    Congrats to all the kids who have made their decisions!
    S still has 5 schools to hear from. All are reachier than the 4 he’s been accepted to so it’s possible he’ll get 4 rejections. He did commit to Boulder (top choice of the 4) so that he could be in the first phase for housing. But 4 of the 5 could knock Boulder out.
    One more month until all decisions are in. Hang in there everyone!
    · Reply · Share