right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

Parents of the HS Class of 2024

CCadmin_SorinCCadmin_Sorin 2935 replies412 threads Community Manager
This thread is destined for parents of potential 2024 high school grads.
10 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2024

• LuanneLuanne 103 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Thank you!

I'm joining for my new freshman D. She is excited to start high school, but nervous because there is not an orientation day for her this year. I know she'll do fine though.

· Reply · Share
  • GirlMom01GirlMom01 57 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I haven’t posted much during D20’s journey, but hoping to post a bit more as I begin again with D24. The start of high school won’t be typical, but I’m hoping for a great year for everyone in the Class of 2024!
    · Reply · Share
    D24 started high school this past week! We are in-person, but the first 2 weeks are just 50% at a time, so only 2 days each week. This is letting them learn the ropes of the new safety rules and it lets kids new to the building be more comfortable.

D really enjoyed it, I think. She knows kids in most of her classes so far. She hasn't seen half the class, so who knows about the 1 class she said she didn't know anyone.

It's a relief to get her first few days behind us.
    · Reply · Share
    Today is my D’s first full day of school. Such a difficult way to start high school, but hopeful that she and all of the class of 2024 will have a good freshman year!
    · Reply · Share
  • twokids2gotwokids2go 116 replies5 threads Junior Member
    D24 is currently starting her freshman year online. It is definitely a different experience than her sister D20 had as a freshman. So far she's doing well online (we are 1 month into the school year). She may be heading to hybrid format soon with 1/3 of students in the classroom at a given time if our county can keep their infection rate down. Fingers crossed!
    · Reply · Share
  • Peruna1998Peruna1998 150 replies4 threads Junior Member
    D24 is a freshman at a private high school in Memphis. D22 is a junior there as well. They have both been attending in person this year for about a month. The school has moved to two (2) three (3) hour classes per day on a seven (7) period rotating schedule with social distancing and required masks. There is an online option if you want it. It is working well so far. The statistics for the school show approximately 25% of the students in the K-12 school are online. It is an IB school and my daughter is planning on pursuing the IB diploma (my son is working on his).

D24 is running cross country. She is a certified diver (19 dives so far) and loves art. She is, perhaps, the biggest Stitch fan (Lilo and Stitch) in the world. She wants to be an engineer and is seriously thinking about naval architecture and marine engineering (how she got that from Memphis, I have no clue).
    · Reply · Share
    D24 has been a bit anxious about this unusual start to high school, but today she learned that she earned a spot on Student Council! So great to see her so proud and excited. I continue to hope for as smooth a year as possible for all of the Class of 2024!
    · Reply · Share
  • BasbleuBasbleu 85 replies13 threads Junior Member
    Checking in after dusting off my account for the first time in a long while! My 2 kids were born 7.5 years apart and have completely different talents/interests so I feel like I am signing on for round 2 as a mentor yet feel like I need to go to college confidential boot camp all over again! My first born is an artsy introvert (starting his senior year at Lawrence University now) and my class of 24 son is a people person who loves STEM! I know absolutely nothing about big tech schools. Here we go!
    · Reply · Share
    I hope the year is going well. D24 seems to enjoy her classes quite a bit and she really likes seeing her friends again! Clubs are finally allowed to meet, so she is going to look into joining a couple of them.
    · Reply · Share
  • EconPopEconPop 705 replies13 threads Member
    edited October 17
    Wow! I didn't realize these threads started so early. Now that I've got S20 off and doing well, I guess it doesn't hurt to tinker with very (too?) early possibilities for D24.

My guess now is she'll prefer a smaller school, likely a LAC. Fortunately, we have a fine public LAC in UNC-Asheville, and that should provide a great safety for her.

edited October 17
    · Reply · Share