Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Side benefit of CLEPing - Registering earlier

SGPSGP Registered User Posts: 118 Junior Member
edited December 2012 in CLEP Exam
At my older son's college, registration priority is given to those with the most credits. Taking CLEP tests has enabled him to register before many of his peers because he has passed the next credit-threshhold for registering.

I'm considering having my younger son CLEP as many tests as possible, even though they aren't needed for his major, just so he can register a few days ahead of his peers. He already has 12 college credits through AP and CLEP, so he'd need to take only 6 more CLEP tests to reach the 30 credit threshold. There are CLEPs for many of the courses he's taking this year in high school, so it wouldn't be onerous. The college he plans to attend takes CLEP, and although he wouldn't need all the CLEPs toward his degree (engineering), it would help in earlier registration.

Fortunately, CLEP and AP exams don't count toward the 140 credit maximum our state has. (Students have to pay a tuition premium for more than 140 credits.)
Post edited by SGP on

Replies to: Side benefit of CLEPing - Registering earlier

• MidwestMom2Kids_MidwestMom2Kids_ Registered User Posts: 6,673 Senior Member
    I think this is a great idea.
  • SexyStacheSexyStache Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    @SGP - Yes, that is something a lot of people don't realize. Earlier registration times = being able to make a better schedule for yourself.

At my university you have to be registered before you can purchase a parking pass. Since all the upperclassmen register first, it's impossible for freshman and sophomores to get one.
This discussion has been closed.