Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Eagle in Florida!

Bossf51Bossf51 Registered User Posts: 2,608 Senior Member
The mighty barque made an unscheduled(if welcome) stop at Pt. Everglades, FL this morning. Apparently the ship's refrigeration unit went down and they need to get it repaired. The cadets will get some liberty before heading to Charleston on Friday. Also they hit some tough weather in the form of some high winds on the trip from San Juan. All seem well and happy for the bonus port call.
Post edited by Bossf51 on

Replies to: Eagle in Florida!

• sealion0101sealion0101 Registered User Posts: 325 Member
    No kiddin'- those lucky ducks (about the extra port call in the Everglades, I mean.) I love the Everglades.
  • JTRW3990JTRW3990 Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    I wish I knew about that! I'm right near there, could have been cool to talk to some USCGA Cadets. Though I'm not sure how great they feel stopping in the everglades after being in San Juan
  • Bossf51Bossf51 Registered User Posts: 2,608 Senior Member
    Ha ha just to clarify Pt. Everglades is not part of "The Everglades." It is a large port near Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood where a lot of the cruise ships depart. So...not too tough to take. The kids went to see "The Pirates" movie...what else? Today's a beach day if the weather cooperates. Tough duty. :D
  • sealion0101sealion0101 Registered User Posts: 325 Member
    Ya know, I was wondering about that. We camped all through the Everglades park and I never saw any place for a big vessel to dock - much less get repaired. But I'm a landlubber so I leave room for sailors' secrets. We had the best time in that park, wearing DEET, photographing alligators, canoeing, getting lost in mangrove inlets, so many cool birds. My dh is a horticulturalist so we marveled at the tropical and semi-tropical plant species.

Lauderdale is nice, too. But I haven't been there since college. I know there are many bars there but these kids are probably still too young for that.
This discussion has been closed.