Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

R Day Transportation thread

2»

Replies to: R Day Transportation thread

• zfamzfam Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    ^^wish I would have seen this earlier, about arriving on Saturday^^

We get in Sunday afternoon,(flying into Providence) and hope to take advantage of the tour/sites at the Academy that day, time permitting. I have heard in the past they have had an informal dinner(?) Sunday evenings for parents and future cadets, do they still do this? Any way I can get info about it? Thanks.
  • AtlantaDadAtlantaDad Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    We're flying into White Plains. A little bit more of a drive, but for us a lot cheaper than PVD. We jumped the gun on son's ticket, but only $104 (one way). We are staying through Tuesday morning and are hoping other parents will be up for doing something together Monday night. If anyone has any ideas for a good place to gather that would be great.
  • Bossf51Bossf51 Registered User Posts: 2,611 Senior Member
    Responding to zfam:
    Yes they do. You will be notified shortly about this. Check the parents site. Also if you haven't done so sign up for the 2012 listserv. Also on the parents site. Good luck and congrats.
  • AtlantaDadAtlantaDad Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I don't see anything for 2012 yet. Also, I meant to add that we are staying at the Hyatt Place in Mystic. A little pricey, but we stayed there for "Cadet for a Day" and enjoyed it. New and clean. For anyone who has not visited the campus, it is right off the highway. You can stay one or two towns away and get there in minutes (especially at 7:00am!).
    It's not up yet I guess but it will be shortly. Keep checking back to the U.S. Coast Guard Academy Parents Association - National Home Page site.
  • Luigi59Luigi59 Registered User Posts: 1,155 Senior Member
    zfam wrote:
    I have heard in the past they have had an informal dinner(?) Sunday evenings for parents and future cadets, do they still do this? Any way I can get info about it? Thanks.

You can get a pretty good idea of what will be happening from last year's (2011) schedule:

Sunday July 1 2007 R-Day Schedule

Monday July 2 2007 R-Day Schedule

REMEMBER - THIS IS FROM LAST YEAR!!

:cool:
    Parents don't panic if you don't get the info until late in the process...some times it really comes down to the wire. But generally speaking last year's schedule is a good indicator and I've been following this process for five or so years now. :D
2»
This discussion has been closed.