Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Structure of Cadet's daily academic schedule

sweetness62sweetness62 Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
Can anyone explain how the academic day of a cadet is structured during the school year? I have seen the list of the 7 courses (fourth class) they take per semester, but how are they scheduled? (classes every day/every other, how long, any open periods during the day). I also noticed that swimming and Physiology of Fitness are each 8 weeks (both 1st semester/fourth class year), instead of the full semester 16 weeks, so I assume they do 8 weeks of one, then 8 of the other. If anyone could provide this type of information, it would be appreciated.
Post edited by sweetness62 on

Replies to: Structure of Cadet's daily academic schedule

• br2011br2011 Registered User Posts: 234 Junior Member
    you have 5 "real" classes plus P.E. stuff and then an academic orientation class. most will have per week....

Calc- 4 days 50 min
    Chem- 4 days (3 50 min class, 1 3hr lab)
    Statics and Engineering Design or Nautical Science - 3 days 50 min (2 50 class 1 3 hr lab for NS) (you will take one first semester, the other second semester)
    U.S. History or Macroeconomics - 3 days 50 min (same deal as above)
    English- either 2 days for 1 hr 15 min, or 3 days 50 min each

for P.E. its swimming and Phys of Fit for 8 weeks each in the first semester and then Personal Defense and Phys of Fit 2 for the second. 2 days a week for 1 hr 15 min but you usually get let out early

they're chaning the orientation thing for you guys but that usually meets 2 days a week or serves as a testing period.

as far as free periods...

most people take Naut Sci/Macro at the same time and then History/SED. you have more free periods with History/SED because you dont have naut sci lab which takes up a lot, but you have a lot more daily work
  • sweetness62sweetness62 Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    Thanks BR - that's exactly what I was looking for. Very helpful.
  • heyitsjaykayheyitsjaykay Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Br, could you give me some info on validating classes? I am in my second year of college, and am coming to the USCGA as the class of 2012. I have calculus, physics, chemistry done for the core courses. Can these be validated without taking a written exam? I first heard that an exam is mandatory to validate a course, but then I heard just getting an A at an accredited university will validate it. Thanks in advance!
  • br2011br2011 Registered User Posts: 234 Junior Member
    i think they'll make you take the tests, im not sure though. they're really short so it won't be too much of a hassle if you have to take them.

BTW validating all of those classes will help a lot. you'll be way ahead and have a pretty thin schedule as an upperclass
This discussion has been closed.