Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Colby Class of 2017 Regular Decision Discussion

Replies to: Colby Class of 2017 Regular Decision Discussion

• Luxor1Luxor1 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Waitlisted...

Intnl IB student (not UWC)
    40/42 predicted

SATs 730 CR, 770 Math, 650 WR
    Subjects Math II 770, Physics 800, Chem 790

Varied but unimpressive extracurriculars w/ quite a bit of volunteering and leadership
    Research experience in chemistry at institute

Quite disappointed, really scared for the rest of the decisions
  • CottageSpiritCottageSpirit Registered User Posts: 200 Junior Member
    S was rejected. 3.8 UW GPA, 710 CR, 790 M, 630 WR, lots of AP and honors classes, 16 college credits earned (all As) when he was homeschooled in middle school, not many ECs but the ones he has he's particularly passionate about, overall strong application, NYS resident.

I was surprised he wasn't accepted at Colby as I saw it as a match not a reach, but he's been accepted at other great schools that are in Colby's league. So those who weren't accepted, don't despair! This does not mean you won't get into other wonderful schools.

Congrats to all those who did get accepted, and good luck to those who have been offered a spot on the waitlist!
  • ColbyBrahminColbyBrahmin Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    It would have been helpful to have put your scores into that perspective then. My issue is that grades are hardly comparable among schools, yet colleges seem to put more weight on them of late. I know of at least one English teacher who essentially refuses to give As. He's a great teacher, but it means his students are placed at a disadvantage compared to students from schools with considerable grade inflation. For a student from outside the US, however, there tends to be more weight given to SAT scores since it is difficult to assess the significance of a GPA in India, England, Israel, Egypt, Japan or Malaysia compared to one from Peoria, say. Hence my observation.
  • ColbyBrahminColbyBrahmin Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Sorry, but considering how much these colleges are focused on the US News and World Report listings, I find it hard to accept the yield argument. If someone turns the college admission down, it means the college goes to its waiting list. For the college to try to game the system by guessing if a given student, if admitted, will attend is a disservice to both the college and the applicant population.

As for the "hooks" in, please don't get me started on athletics and the palaces that used to be the athletic center. The day of the scholar-athlete is long past. One doesn't need to be in college to play football, or baseball, or ... College is about education, not sports.
  • JCalliBearJCalliBear Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    ACCEPTED

GPA: 3.7 W
    SAT: 2160
    ACT: 32
    School: Small, prestigious private school

EC's: Captain of Debate; Captain of Cross Country; Editor of Newspaper; Student Government; A lot of artsy stuff; TONS of Debate success
    Community Service: Volunteer Spanish Translator; Work with disabled individuals

Essays: Pretty damn good
  • zphilojzphiloj Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    Btw, I requested for >95% financial aid. I think this might help "worried?" future applicants. You may stand out requesting for aid too; I am an example. For clearing up some ambiguities read this:
    The Cavalier Daily :: College admissions in hard economic times

Good Luck,
    zphiloj
  • angelnunuangelnunu Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    Is your financial aid on the portal?
  • kjohakkjohak Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Mine was updated to the portal today after I requested it via email. Not entirely satisfied with my FA award, though.
  • swimsoc2013swimsoc2013 Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    Accepted: 3.7 (UW) 4.6 (W) 33 (ACT) 35(Writing). IB Diploma. Captain-Swim Team and numerous swim team activities, Executive Council, Student Government,VP-National Honor, Co-President-Invisible Children Spanish Honor Society, Regional Choir (Secretary)...a few other sports. Interesting essay
    all about diversity and inner city schools. Did not visit, but contacted swim coach and interviewed in our city. Very pleased...don't know about FA yet.
  • driveshaftdriveshaft Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    Decision: Accepted
    Sat: Cr 600, Wr 670, M 640
    Sat2: US 780, Bio 700 Math2 740
    APs: bio, us, euro, Calc AB, literature and composition, Chem
    Bio Exam: 5 US history: 5 Ap euro: 3
    Vice President of National honor society
    unique ECs
  • thepeonythepeony Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    SAT: 2250 (CR 720, M780, W 750)
    SAT II: Math II 800, Phy 800, Bio M 780, Bio E 760
    School: Public Magnet
    Awards: Intel ISEF 2012 (in my country only) environment and biomaterials, school honor scholarship every semester
    RecLet: from research project advisor
    Essay: solid and show lots of love for Colby
    Supp: no interview, no visit but showed I had good contact with current student
    ECs: 7 years as conductor in marching band,translator for government office, science club founder, 3 years of community service, play traditional music instrument

Comments: Colby is sooo generous with FA. I'm totally in love with the school now.
  • lasbuenaslasbuenas Registered User Posts: 21 Junior Member
    Accepted

SAT: 2110
    Grade: 4.0 UW, 4.5 W

Almost all activities are music or science related, leadership positions in all.

My family makes too much to qualify for much FA, but Colby is still pretty nice with it and was a great LAC to round out my college list. :)

Best wishes for all!!
  • frisesbichonfrisesbichon Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    S - accepted by UCLA, UC Berkeley, Grinnell, Oberlin, Occidental, Colby and a few more. As of now, Colby is is his #1 choice. He has arrange to visit and stay overnight at Occidental before making the final decision. How does Occidental compare to Colby beside the weather? Thank you!
  • GDMACKGDMACK Registered User Posts: 101 Junior Member
    My daughter looked at Occidental and didn't even apply. It is Los Angeles, and the neighborhood is not so great. I am sure it is a good school, but a completely different vibe than Colby which is very rural. If you don't like rural, Occidental might be the better choice with all LA has to offer. We are from the San Francisco area. My daughter LOVES Colby. I am not sure how you will compare academics, but honestly, the Colby academics are stellar. My daughter is VERY VERY happy.
  • kjohakkjohak Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Other internationals received their admit packets via mail yet? Because I have a feeling that mine has gone missing on the way since it is taking way longer than usual mail from the US.
This discussion has been closed.