Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

General questions

Momof2sonsMomof2sons Registered User Posts: 502 Member
edited April 2007 in Colby College
To those experienced Colby parents....

How much spending $ should a student budget for the academic year? (exclusive of books etc)

What has your experience been with COOT? My son is horrified at the notion
of these outdoor programs (loves his 3 showers a day-LOL)---which of the programs would be best for a non-outdoorsy freshman?
Post edited by Momof2sons on

Replies to: General questions

• werd814werd814 Registered User Posts: 1,099 Senior Member
    From a student:

I can get by on very little. It's nice to have a couple hundred dollars a semester for movies, the occasional night out with friends, ski-trips, take-out during a late night study session, on-campus concerts, and stuff like that. Everything essential, though, is really covered-- it really depends on lifestyle. I'm not the type to go shopping at Freeport or Boston (I've heard of people going shopping in Boston and buying a T-shirt -- A T-SHIRT!-- for $120... which is crazy to me). I also wasn't able to hit up Sugarloaf nearly as much as I wanted this winter, but so far I've gotten by on about $175 since September.

COOT is absolutely fantastic-- one of the best parts of Colby! The theater COOT is fairly good for non-outdoorsy people. I know the "Theater Coot" leaders this year, and they're great. The "Base-camp" COOT might also be up your son's alley.

cheers!

werd
  • Momof2sonsMomof2sons Registered User Posts: 502 Member
    Thanks--my guy is not much of a shopper either. I suspect he will spend most of his money on extra food/take out and movies, so his expenses will be on the low end based on your information..

I know he will end up enjoying COOT too--seems like a great way to meet other new students
  • momofddmomofdd Registered User Posts: 103 Junior Member
    COOT was a great experience for our daughter, who doesn't describe herself as an outdoor type either. She did decide to stretch herself and do a mid-level sporty COOT, and in spite of achy limbs did rave about it.
    Colby does a superb job with COOT, which creates instant community and bonding.
    Re: allowance, if he doesn't have a car on campus, what werd814 stated sounds reasonable.
    Our daughter did buy a skiing pass- about $230 - which is a great deal in most years: this past winter had little snow at the start so she about broke even, but she loved the easy access to Sugarloaf. I would say that she has become more outdoorsy this year, so you may find your son opening up to those experiences!
  • Momof2sonsMomof2sons Registered User Posts: 502 Member
    Thanks Momdd---I know he will get alot out of COOT--he is actually very athletic, so I think the physical rigor will not be the issue, but he will want a bed to sleep in! LOL

He is not going to bring a car his first year
This discussion has been closed.