Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Financial Aid for International Students

Replies to: Financial Aid for International Students

• skunkskunk Registered User Posts: 663 Member
    No, I havent sent in my apps yet. I have emailed them asking about my options and am waiting for their reply.
    though I still think that the winter ED means ED II. I have my fingers crossed.
  • danielcarp17danielcarp17 Registered User Posts: 574 Member
    Oh ... ok, well I hope winter ED really means ED II, because applying ED II to Swarthmore seems like a pretty good idea. I'm getting sick of all this application process... but I'll hold on, leaving my country is a powerful incentive ;)

Let us know what they tell you skunk
    Even if I apply ED II, I will have to go through all this app process. The results come out in mid-Feb, remember?
    I'm from Nepal.
    Btw, you seem to have posted the same thread in almost all the colleges.:DYour CR score is very impressive though.
    My SAT scores are fine ... it's the subject tests that worry me. You and jhl have excellent subject test scores! I hope I didn't do too bad ...

How many colleges are you applying to? I'm starting to think 16 is somewhat excessive ...
    I think I've posted my list in the college admissions forum. Take a look there. Any comments would be welcome.
  • yes234yes234 Registered User Posts: 1,207 Senior Member
    hey guys.. sorry for the late reply..

I'm from Brunei.. I just got deferred from Columbia ED..I asked for LOTS of aid(I said I wanted to pay just 1k per year).. I'm sad but at least it proves that i am not that bad an applicant after all..

I may ED2 Colgate but I'm really not sure right now.. I like both Williams and Colgate (haha, alongside Columbia).. but I dunno if I should commit to Colgate (at the same time improve my chances) or wait and see.. but I'm scared that i'll end up with none accepting me because regular is more competitive.. Any suggestions?

I'm pretty sure there's ED2 Swat..
    Though I havent received the official email, I confirmed with a lot of people and am now pretty sure that the Early Decision winter option is the ED II. Here I come, Swarthmore!!

I'm thinking of saying that I can pay <1k per year. I said 1150 to 1 college but I think that's too much now.:) Maybe 500 is a good amount. What do u guys think?

Btw, http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/430257-heres-my-college-list.html contains my college list. any comments would be welcome.
    I'm thinking like you jhl ... applying ED II to Colgate for example will give you a greater chance but at the same time cut you off from some other possible offers... who knows ..

I have to say I really don't have much advice, we're pretty much in the same boat. I have a lot of doubts and time is running short. Honestly, I'd say we do have strong stats, surely if we didn't need financial aid we'd look much better.

So Swarthmore does have ED II ... ? Well that's good news for you Skunk! I still don't know if I'll apply ED II to any college though ... Let us know when Swat confirms.

This might be a silly question but, what is our "expected visa type" ?
    And a couple of questions in the Intnl Certification of Finances:
    How much money do I expect to have when I arrive to the college?
    Is this question referring to cash??
    Do you plan to remain in the U.S during summer?
    This is a YES if I'm applying for fin aid at a LAC right? Since I have to work?
    Do I plan to attend summer school?
    I don't know ...

Thanks guys !
    the expected visa type might be 'f1' visa. not sure. have to check it.

i do think that question is referring to cash
    i too have said yes.
    i have said no since i have to work. dunno really.
    i'll send 9 packages tomorrow
    thanks skunk

hey, I looked at swarthmore's web site, it seems to me there is no ED II ... what did they answer?
  • ajaycajayc Registered User Posts: 4,682 Senior Member
    Financial aid for international students is *extremely* limited, especially given the number of applications (for admission and aid) that we receive from abroad. Roughly 1,000 students with international backgrounds applied for admission to the class of 2011 (a figure not uncommon for us nowadays), and in most years close to 90% of them apply for financial aid. We are able to fund a *total* of 8-10 students per year out of this group... and to further complicate the issue, all international transfer students also compete for these precious funds, as well.

Really, your best resource is our Director of Admission, Steve Thomas, who works with international students and travels a fair bit outside the U.S. (he's in Asia for a large part of August/September each year). His email address is tsthomas@colby.edu.

By ColbyAdmissions
  • Kyo7Kyo7 Registered User Posts: 199 Junior Member
    I think colleges exaggerate with their "extremely limited" caution notes. I'm an international student at Colby and I can tell you that most of us only pay a little fraction of the fees ($1,000-$4,000). A lot of international students come from United World Colleges and receive a special kind of grant called Davis scholarship. But there are other scholarships for those who come from other high schools as well.
  • ajaycajayc Registered User Posts: 4,682 Senior Member
    ^ Its not the aid that bothers me its the no. of students they fund! 8-10! Come on! :D
    ^ well, it's the same in so many colleges we are applying to.:( I was hell bent on applying to Pomona but after they replied that they'd fund only 6 int'l per year, I gave up.:')
This discussion has been closed.