Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Getting off the Waitlist

TWLKTWLK Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
edited May 2009 in Colby College
Does anyone have advice about how to get off of Colby's waitlist? I've read the articles, and I'll be sending them a personal letter, updated academic information, and samples of my playwriting. But is there anything else I should do?
Post edited by TWLK on

Replies to: Getting off the Waitlist

• mountainsmountains Registered User Posts: 756 Member
    My frosh S is an aspiring playwright and he sent an entire play. He was accepted RD. The new chair of the Theater Department is a playwright and has been an amazing mentor to my S. Maybe you can contact the chair?

Colby College | Directory | Lynne Conner

Let me see if I can get more waitlist tips for you. Best of luck. Colby, so far, has been an excellent experience for my S.
    Got a few tips from a very dear friend who was quite successful getting her kids off waitlists:
    First -- figure out what is weak in the application. You have to razzle dazzle them so they forget to notice that. Focus on one academic or EC success and send documentation of it along.

If none of that brings ideas scour the catalogue and have her find a course that is uniquely [of the particular school] that interests her. Have her write a very polite but exciting letter about what studying that particular course would mean to her. Then email the professor of the course and explain her situation and ask him/her for any advise about what else she could provide the school with. (You want the professor to go over and recommend her admittance.)

Colby offers Playwriting first semester, even to freshmen. A second semester course is Play Practicum where the students work on staging selected student plays (chosen from a campuswide competition). Students are the directors, actors (not necessarily from the class) stage hands, etc.
  • foargo91foargo91 Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    MOuntains: Wait, can you help me too. I got waitlisted at Colby and i really want to get there. :p I know several people who got in so i dunt wanna give up yet. :P

As you said, i have to personally know a professor of my fav course, to get to know her/him and ask him.her to write me a recommendation?

Is there anything else i need to do??
  • foargo91foargo91 Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    I thinking about asking prof or economic department. ..... Do u know any one who's particularly helpful and supportive???
    foargo91 - I'm sorry, but I don't personally know any profs in the Economics Department.

Have you read this:
    Colby College | Blogs and Podcasts | Behind the Decision - STILL Waiting...

Excellent waitlist advice from a Colby admissions person.
    Recent response from Colby Admissions person on their from blog:
    Probably the single most helpful thing to us is a letter from the waitlisted student who truly wants to come to Colby, stating that if offered a place from the wait list, s/he will definitely accept the offer. We don't know whether we will be able to take any further students, nor do we know what our financial aid budget will look like when the time comes. But if we are able to accept any more students, of course we would like to offer those spots to the ones who really and truly want to come. If you had the opportunity to have an interview with a staff member, you could send such a letter directly to him or her. If not, you can go to our webpage listing the Admissions staff and figure out which of us oversees the territory where you go to school.

Other useful material would be a new set of grades which may have been released since your mid-year report, or new information that we may not have received: an honor or award, etc. Of course you are welcome to submit anything that you think would give us a more complete picture of you.

http://www.colby.edu/news_events/feeds/feed-item.cfm?feedname=Behind%20the%20Decision&postid=1699940
    Seems Colby may be opening up its waitlist soon. From "Behind the Decision" blog on Colby's website:
    We hope to be able to offer a few additional places from our wait list, but at this point, it seems that it may be a smaller number than in previous years.

Scroll down to the comments.
    Colby College | Blogs and Podcasts | Behind the Decision - Other Voices
This discussion has been closed.