Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Class of 2013 - Some things you may want to know

Replies to: Class of 2013 - Some things you may want to know

• Whybenormal529Whybenormal529 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Yeah, I just called and got the same response. They said to keep an eye out for them in the coming week!
  • cadence76cadence76 Registered User Posts: 318 Member
    so, guys, do I tell this to D, and watch the stress-out-teenage-crazies that ensue? Or do I just sit on this piece of news? hmmmmm? :rolleyes:
  • mountainsmountains Registered User Posts: 756 Member
    I can just see the FB searches on that day ... S and his roommate actually had a common friend! Amazing coincidence.
  • WhiteMuleWhiteMule Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    Just a heads up. The past few years room assignments have been posted in the online student directory before any official announcement is sent by Colby (although, as of now they are still pending). The fun part, once you know your room, is clicking through every freshmen to find your roommate if you can't wait for the Colby mailing.
    They're posted-- D found out hers today! she hasn't waded through to figure out the roommate yet. Nice that Colby puts the floorplans on the website, though!
    Okay, so they've had to go on Facebook again and tell all the kids to settle down--the info that was posted yesterday was just preliminary, and the final info on room assignments will go out at the end of this week/early next week. Seems like they should have learned their lesson after the course sign-up craziness! The kids are too computer-savvy for the poor administrators to keep up! :p
    It's what happens when Campus Life is slow in sending out info...students get restless and start searching through the "back door" of the Colby directory.

My guess is that the rooms posted were actually accurate (my room was [I'm going to be a junior]), but beloved campus life didn't want the info available before they officially sent it out.
  • charlie135charlie135 Registered User Posts: 145 Junior Member
    If history tells us anything then those dorms are correct. I am not sure if any of you remember but I was able to check my admissions status 15 hours early on their website because admitted students had the "submit deposit form" open, waitlists had "keep on waitlist" and others had nothing. Colby is thinking if they put up all the bricks in the arch without the keystone that the info will be unfound, well guess what this is 2009 and we are better with computers than they are. Let the searching for info begin!
  • thinker88thinker88 Registered User Posts: 210 Junior Member
    Is it worth getting a closet organizer or is there enough storage in the dorms? Colby says that they provide a closet/wardrobe and a dresser so I am wondering if more storage is necessary.
    I'm a guy, and I have trouble fitting all my clothes into the Colby dressers, which only have three drawers. Colby also has some 5 drawer dressers available, but not enough for everybody who wants them. Most dorms have a standalone wardrobe, except for a few of the renovated frat row ones that have built-ins, which I usually end up tossing clothes into.

So, long story short, get an organizer if you're bringing a lot of clothes and won't just end up leaving them around your room.
    Hi everybody! So, we were at a Colby event last night for people in our state, and the campus life reps said OFFICIAL HOUSING ASSIGNMENTS WILL BE MAILED FRIDAY. And... (drum roll, please!) COOT ASSIGNMENTS GO OUT IN THE MIDDLE/END OF NEXT WEEK! So there it is, straight from the mule's mouth! :)
  • charlie135charlie135 Registered User Posts: 145 Junior Member
    The housing syuff was mailed yesterday... People in NE have already receieved their letter.
    ...and today (last night) everybody got their "first class" emails! Hey--are these linked to your COOT group?
  • thinker88thinker88 Registered User Posts: 210 Junior Member
    What do people do for October break if they live far away? Do most people go home or are there still people on campus? It's only a four day weekend so I am debating whether it is worth the airfare.
    thinker88--are you in CT (your "location" says so)? My impression is that the ride board is pretty active, and that it's not too difficult to catch a ride home with someone, especially if you're in New England. Current folks--is this true?
This discussion has been closed.