1. Get a physical - COOT sign up is in early July and they require you to submit results of a physical (at most 6 months old). The earlier you sign up for COOT, the higher your chances are of getting your first choice.
2. For your parents - For those who need to, reserve hotels for move-in day, and getting hotels in Waterville on this day isn't too hard, but I wouldn't delay. Reserving hotel rooms on Family Weekend (September 25 to 27) is tough - we stayed in Augusta last year and already have reservations in Augusta again this year. The rates in Waterville for this weekend is ridiculous.
3. There's a big sort-of yard sale (in the athletic center) on Frosh move-in day and there's a lot of cheap stuff but be there early. Long line.
4. Buy used textbooks on your move-in day. More choices rather than waiting right before classes start. Also, textbooks bought from the bookstore can be resold to the bookstore; they won't take used books bought elsewhere. Used books are priced reasonably.
5. Right before your parents leave on move-in day (around 4 pm), you will be asked to join your COOT group, so you'll start being with a group immediately - have dinner with them, activities, etc. As a parent, I was concerned my shy S would feel lost. I worried for nothing.
6. For those wanting a chem-free dorm, make sure you sign up. No stigma whatsoever in Colby and chem-free comprises 25% or more of the population (I think).