right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Colgate's Size

calipersoncaliperson 1 replies3 threadsRegistered User New Member
I really like what Colgate has to offer as a school, but one thing that I am skeptical of is the size. I go to a small high school and I find the size to be restricting and I don't like knowing every single person in my grade. I don't need to go to a giant state school, but I also don't want to be at a college that has the social dynamic of a high school, so I am a bit worried about the size and location of Colgate. So, does it feel to small? Can a student have any sense of
anonymity? Be honest!
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Colgate's Size

• moneypmoneyp 773 replies19 threadsRegistered User Member
    My ds graduated there and he did not know everyone. It didn't feel small for him.
    · Reply · Share
  • markhammarkham 774 replies9 threadsRegistered User Member
    Suffice it to say, the experience of student at an elite residential liberal arts college is nothing like high school.

Colgate at 2950 undergraduates is larger than most of them, but if you want to find your way out and around a large and more anonymous style or type of institution you have plenty to choose from.

Good luck with your search.

Go ‘gate!
    · Reply · Share
  • DecYetDecYet 14 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    My sister attended Colgate. She also was initially concerned it would feel too much like her high school (which had 1200 students). But she LOVED it. She continually met new people throughout her four years at Colgate. In her opinion, it was the perfect size.
    · Reply · Share
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal 5575 replies10 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Students at "smaller " schools like this often remark on 2 things:
    1. There is a lot of mingling between classes. It's not unusual for a junior and a freshman to be good friends. And to that end, 25% of the community is new every year.
    2. There will be a group of people you see a lot. They may be in your major, do an activity you do, live in your dorm. But you will also be surprised with how often you are meeting new people as well. You are unlikely to exhaust all the social possibilities in 4 years. In fact, alums of these schools are often delighted with the "new" connections they make at reunions.
    · Reply · Share