Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Daughter Accepted- 2 Concerns

13»

Replies to: Daughter Accepted- 2 Concerns

• picklemompicklemom Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    lydia08 thank you so much for your response again! you are making me feel much more comfortable.

do most juniors and seniors live off campus?

my daughter still hasnt chosen what college she will attend but your answers give me a lot of insight to colgate.
  • jrparjrpar Registered User Posts: 2,134 Senior Member
    There is a lottery for seniors who want to live off campus - up to 250 seniors (roughly 1/3 of the class) are allowed to live off campus. Many of the seniors who live off campus live in apartments in downtown Hamilton. Colgate: Off-Campus Lottery
  • lydia08lydia08 Registered User Posts: 225 Junior Member
    Glad I can help!

The rest of the juniors and seniors live on what is technically "on-campus" housing, but it's really apartment buildings/townhouses/interest houses down the hill and across the main street from campus. It's a nice transition from dorm life to the real world - you have a full kitchen and everything and have to clean up after yourself, but you don't have to worry about bills/landlord issues and if anything breaks, Buildings and Grounds will come fix it ASAP.
  • Ahmad0302Ahmad0302 Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    well, there is no doubt a jewish community, many of my friends are jews (i am not). but regarding that kosher food issue, I am not too sure. The food that they have in the dining halls is definitely not kosher, and as far as i know, the Jewish center has kosher food only on Fridays (I might be wrong). In fact me and one of my jewish friends tried to keep it kosher by turning vegetarian. She gave up after a few weeks. But that is just an isolated incident, and there is a supermarket that does have kosher meat.

Hope that helps!!!!
  • ticklemepinkticklemepink Registered User Posts: 2,764 Senior Member
    I'm both!

Re: CJU (Colgate Jewish Union) is just really, really great. Colgate is definitely not for the Orthodox but it's much more geared towards cultural Judaism. In in a way, CJU strives to reach out to Jews from all walks of life. I was one of the lucky students who got to interview "Rabbi Dave" for his job.

Me: So, Rabbi, we have like 400 students on our mailing lists. A lot of them are not affiliated with CJU or don't really participate much in our events on regular basis. A lot of students are really busy and it's hard for them to make any kind of commitment to Judaism. How do you propose to reach out to those students?

Rabbi Dave: ..... In short, you just have to meet them at their comfort level. I want to do whatever I can to make them comfortable (lists different ways). I want them to see that they can be in touch with their Jewishness, even just for a few minutes a day. This is why I want to come to Colgate. I want to be able to reach out to students at more personal level.

That is... how he got the job. And students just LOVE him and give him a lot of respect. (he's got that wonderful baby face to boot)

The Sap is a great place. The kitchens are kosher so your D is MORE than welcome to come in and make something for herself in a kosher kitchen. There are almost always leftovers from Shabbat in the fridge so she can run down there if she has a craving for a piece of kosher chicken. If your D is on work-study, she can ask to be a monitor for the Sap... which is one of the easiest and best jobs on campus because she has the whole place to herself (of course anyone can drop by!)-free food in the kitchen, tv, computer/wireless internet, and couches to lounge around on. Every Friday afternoon, a group of VERY dedicated student-cooks get together to prepare for Shabbat dinner. As others have said, CJU does what it can to help students feel at home and have fun being a Jew or learning about Jewish traditions. Rabbi Dave does his utmost best to help students find rides home for the holidays or make them feel at home when they can't be with their families. And the students are very passionate about Israel but they try to be neutral when teaching the campus about Israeli-Palestinian issues (although the campus is more pro-Israel or apathetic).

As for Greek life... the rush (which happens in sophomore year) can be very intense if you make through a minimum of 2 nights. One night won't do much. But to socialize for more than 2 nights in a row is quite intense. At the same time, they are a LOT of fun because you meet so many women with their own lives and interests. Potential new members are primarily judged on what they can bring to the sorority and whether they can fit in with the sorority's current members. It also helps a lot to know several members before rushing because those members can vouch for those potential new members. Like anywhere else, first semester is the hardest because of commitments to help new members bond with the sorority and each other.

Being in a sorority wasn't a huge plus nor a minus for me. I met some wonderful juniors and seniors whom I looked up to. I lived in a house with my very own room that looked out to Broad Street. I enjoyed some special nights/afternoons that the house put together such as a Super Bowl Party (that was insane, half the room was for the Giants and the other half was for the Pats...), Sunday brunches, and sometimes if there's enough interest, weekly tv show get-togethers. The only downside really was that, like the rest of Colgate community, everyone was so involved with their activities outside of the sorority that sometimes I didn't feel that "bond". As for "hazing"... within my sorority, we were very responsible with our "outside" activities and made sure no one got herself in danger. Sorority life, at Colgate, is what you make of it. The Greek life at Colgate is quite unique because of the campus environment being more about being a community and cross-campus collaborations so students are quite balanced in their ECs, academics, and social life.
  • lydia08lydia08 Registered User Posts: 225 Junior Member
    Ahmad - normally there is not kosher food provided, but during the week of Passover, there is matzo and matzo pizza available at Frank and (at least a few years back this was the case) there were kosher for passover meals provided at the Sap (catered I think?).
  • ColgateDadColgateDad Registered User Posts: 203 Junior Member
    My daughter is a first-year at Colgate right now. She's not much for boyfriend-girlfriend culture, did not have a boyfriend in high school, and doesn't have one now. She mostly goes out with groups of friends. I wouldn't call her 'shy' but shy, quiet people can be perfectly happy at Colgate.

There's the usual "hook-up" culture at Colgate as at most other schools with a certain casualness about sex -- if that's the kind of person you are -- but if you've been raised correctly and don't find that particularly appealing, why get involved in it? It's the same as drinking, I suppose. If that's your way to have fun, I guess you'll guzzle a lot of beer (Like that doesn't happen at every college in the world!). But, if you don't find drinking a big thrill, you don't drink much.

There really isn't a big deal of pressure to do any of these things--unless you're the kind of weak person who gives in to pressure to do stupid things.

Colgate students have been described by a few people I know as "sporty" which seems to mean pretty outdoorsy, athletic, and healthy. Not everyone, by any means, but I find that a fairly nice thing. And they're pretty smart, too. You know all those thousands of students the Ivies say were "just as qualified but they didn't have enough room to admit them"? Well, many of them are at Colgate.

Colgate draws pretty heavily from New York City and suburbs as well as the Northeast, in general. The Jewish population is fairly significant. An awful lot of my daughter's rugby friends are Jewish if names mean anything.

Cars aren't all BMW's and Mercedes. There's a lot of old family second cars, too. It's a bit easier to get some of those kind of cars tuned up in Hamilton than any exotic car. Most of my daughter's friends do not have cars, but some upperclassmen do. It is not typical to have a car which is a bit of a burden to deal with, and you don't need one at all to get around campus or into Hamilton which is 1 mile away. What's that, a 20 minute leisurely walk? Or take the Cruiser shuttle which goes from campus to town regularly.

Living off campus isn't unusual, but relatively few students do it. Colgate is a residential college so that nearly everyone lives in a dorm or campus housing of some kind. Some few live in fraternities and sororities, but only about 30-35% of Colgate students are members of them and not all of them live in the houses but in the dorms. There are many different kinds of "houses" offered for students to live in.

Everyone going off to college is a little nervous, a little unprepared. Whatever college your daughter ends up in, it will be her that makes it work or not, far more than the college itself. What I mean is if she's not ready for college, there's likely no college she'd be all that happy attending. If she is ready, she can be happy at many different colleges. It's a little like marriage or children or buying a house. A few years on, and you can't imagine doing it any other way. But, before you make the decision, it seemse pretty daunting.
  • bestregardsbestregards Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    There are two things wrong with your theory. First off, rich parents can't buy their way into elite schools or if they can, you're looking at less than 1% of the entering class. Secondly, the elite schools have so much scholarship money that most kids are likely to be like your daughter. In short, you're daughter will be fine. Fret not.
13»
This discussion has been closed.