Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Home equity and Ivy League schools

LuminouzzLuminouzz Registered User Posts: 1,885 Senior Member
edited September 2010 in College Admissions
Hi. I'm a very low income student (8k/year) with a high home equity. My family's house is valued at around $400K, and there is no mortgage.

I'm aware that the EFC doesn't include home equity, but the CSS profile does. How do the Ivy League schools use home equity in their financial aid calculations?

I plan to do an individual search on their websites, but I was hoping for a general idea. Which of the Ivies and other top schools disregard home equity? Assuming acceptance, is there any chance I can get a full ride (room+board) at a top school?
Post edited by Luminouzz on

Replies to: Home equity and Ivy League schools

• Old College TryOld College Try Registered User Posts: 310 Member
    Some schools included it, some don't. It depends. From what I can tell, Ivies like Harvard and Princeton do pay much attention to it but Ivies like Penn and Dartmouth do.

FAFSA doesn't ask but many schools make you fill out other forms and some of these forms ask. It seems to me that schools want to get a sense of how wealthy your parents are. THe richer they seem, the less you'll get.
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 36,037 Super Moderator
    You would be better off posting this in the Financial Aid forum. I think most Ivies don't look at your primary residence but people in the FA forum will know.
This discussion has been closed.