Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Which Class?

13CollegeGirl1313CollegeGirl13 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
edited September 2010 in College Admissions
Im currently a sophomore who's planning on getting a degree in Theoretical and Mathematical physics. While im in high school will/have take(n):
Algebra 1
Geometry
Algebra 2
Trigonometry (online)
Pre-Calculus
Calculus
I will be able to take one more math class online the summer after my junior year. I'm wondering which class would be most helpful for my chosen degree. Any ideas?
Post edited by 13CollegeGirl13 on

Replies to: Which Class?

• paperbackheadpaperbackhead Registered User Posts: 218 Junior Member
    Why not take Calc online, and go into a higher math senior year?
  • 13CollegeGirl1313CollegeGirl13 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Calculus is the highest math offered at my school, which the way classes are schedualed i wouldnt even be able to take if i wern't currently taking geometry at my school while taking Algebra 2 online.
  • fogcityfogcity Registered User Posts: 3,228 Senior Member
    It really depends on what science courses you would have taken by the end of the junior year, and whether or not you would plan to take a science course (such as college level chemistry or physics) during the summer of your junior year. If not, then taking advanced math courses such as you are is of limited value. They resonate only when they are combined with courses that apply them.

All this said, if you insist on taking a math course in the summer of your junior year take one in discrete math. I would stay away from more advanced calculus/differential equation courses unless you have matching science courses that would use that knowledge.
    I am currently taking Physics and I plan on taking chemistry and adv. Biology when they are offered later, I also plan on taking either a cosmology course or some sort of theoretical/ mathematical physics class online my senior year.
  • fogcityfogcity Registered User Posts: 3,228 Senior Member
    You are very ambitious in your science study!

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a theoretical/mathematical physics class. The math would depend on the textbook that is used in that class. Is the focus of the class advanced mechanics, or optics, or electromagnetism? In any case, there are no doubt math prerequisites for such a class, most likely differential equations. If so you can consider taking such a class in the summer.
    Yeah, i really want to get as much math/science in as i can while im it high school, ill probably also take human phys but i didnt really think that was relevent.

I wasnt really specific with what the class will be because im not exactly sure what it will be since it wouldnt be offered at my school so i will have to find it elsewhere. It will probably be a cosmology class.
  • webasswebass - Posts: 666 Member
    Trig is included in Pre-Calculus, so don't waste your time and money.
This discussion has been closed.