Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Asians at White Schools

Zoidberg93Zoidberg93 Registered User Posts: 640 Member
edited October 2010 in College Admissions
Do over represented minorities (Chinese, Japanese, Indian, ect) have increased chances at schools that are mostly white? I know that ORMs generally have decreased chances at most schools, but I'm talking about schools that really have a strong white majority.
Post edited by Zoidberg93 on

Replies to: Asians at White Schools

• glassesarechicglassesarechic Registered User Posts: 5,487 Senior Member
    Most schools in the US will have a white majority. However, there are certain types of schools--specifically, LACs--that don't receive the overabundance of well-qualified Asian applicants that HYPSM do. At those schools, Asians are considered as URMs.
  • sinflowersinflower Registered User Posts: 462 Member
    glassesarechic: Really?! That would be cool if it were true. But I've never heard it before. I'm not doubting you, but do you have a link?
  • 2college2college2college2college - Posts: 1,523 Senior Member
    Yes, it's true. If a college has less than the percentage of Asian students than the percentage of Asians in the US population (4%), they are probably trying to attract more.
  • sinflowersinflower Registered User Posts: 462 Member
    Oh. That's not true at the LACs I'm looking at. They all have higher percentages of Asians by far. Never mind, then.

And btw, I think we're 6% of the population now!
  • Zoidberg93Zoidberg93 Registered User Posts: 640 Member
    It's about 5%
This discussion has been closed.