Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Would music be considered an academic subject in this context?

daivikodaiviko Registered User Posts: 193 Junior Member
edited December 2010 in College Admissions
An essay prompt I am working on currently asks me "Outside of academics, what do you enjoy doing most?" Music is a huge part of my life and is something I have always enjoyed doing. My question is whether this would be considered an 'academic' interest?
Post edited by daiviko on

Replies to: Would music be considered an academic subject in this context?

• ShacoriaShacoria - Posts: 127 Junior Member
    Probably not. I think something that would be considered academic would be like if you said you like to read, but I don't think music is a bad thing to put down as an answer for the question. I suppose writing music could be academic
  • daivikodaiviko Registered User Posts: 193 Junior Member
    Well, the reason I am asking is because my main musical interest is jazz and I'm in the 'jazz band' class.
  • violadadvioladad Registered User Posts: 6,645 Senior Member
    Performance, ensemble work is not considered academic, but practical application.

In music, the academic disciplines are theory and analysis, history/musicology. At the high school level, while the "jazz band class" may encompass a bit of theory and jazz history, I would not consider it an academic interest unless you are seriously studying music theory and history .
This discussion has been closed.