Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Scholarship For White Males Only

13»

Replies to: Scholarship For White Males Only

• bzva74bzva74 - Posts: 427 Member
    There is no such thing as white heritage. If you can split it into sub-categories, it's not a culture. Middle eastern caucasians are so much different than Swedes....I'm not even going to start.

But when you transplant 9 million people from west africa to the USA...yeah they develop a distinct culture.
  • ShrinkrapShrinkrap Registered User Posts: 11,788 Senior Member
    "If you think Asians are naturally less smart than other races then please explain why."

PLEASE tell me where I implied that? This kind of post is concerning to me.

"Also, I guess that means other posters on this thread "will give a school a bad name".

It does sometime make an impression, good or bad, when a poster becomes associated with a specific school.

As nattilee stated "blacks, on average, score lower on the SATs than their white counterparts of similar income and same school." Are you arguing that this can not be true for Asians?

THAT is a statement of fact. Voicing what i think is an opinion regarding "natural intelligence" goes beyond that.

"Why do blacks "tend to score worse "? is a good question, one that a lot of learned people, and I like to include myself among them, spend a great deal of time on. Between my last post and this one, I reviewed a 60 page document trying to answer just that question for an African American boy. His IEP was complicated by the fact that cognitive ability tests that are considered culturally biased are not allowed. I happen to think that is sometimes an opportunity to deny services.

Did you know even though ADHD is "diagnosed" by teachers in URM boys, at twice the rate of there ORM counterparts, white boys take stimulants at twice the rate? http://www.blacknews.com/news/psycho_slavery_black_boys_white_teachers_adhd101.shtml.
    http://www.umassmed.edu/uploadedFiles/cmhsr/Publications/White%20Paper-Disparities%20in%20child%20and%20adol%20psychoactive%20med%20prescription%20practices%20by%20race%20and%20ethnicity.pdf

By the way, I mispoke about the author of the original article.Apologies.

The answers might be more complicated than you or I realize.
  • UVAorBustUVAorBust Registered User Posts: 2,504 Senior Member
    I actually never realized that Shrinkrap. That is very interesting. By the way, I meant the opposite of the first quote, that Asians actually DO score higher than other races.

bzva74 you said
    vzva74 wrote:
    There is no such thing as white heritage. If you can split it into sub-categories, it's not a culture. Middle Eastern Caucasians are so much different than Swedes....I'm not even going to start.
    I agree there is certainly no such thing as "white" heritage. But I am referring to the Americans who do not hold enough of a specific heritage to be "allowed" to apply to race specific scholarships. And obviously, middle eastern Caucasians are very different from Swedes. However, if you do not fall into one category of race - meaning you do not hold enough of one race - what should you consider yourself?
  • RedSevenRedSeven Registered User Posts: 1,665 Senior Member
    While I disagree with racial or ethnic requirements entirely, I don't see a problem with a whites-only scholarship, as it's really not much different than any other scholarship with racial or ethnic restrictions.

What's especially interesting is that so many people are quick to cite the supposed dominance of white males. While, indeed, rich white males have oppressed other groups in the past and have rarely been oppressed, not all white males are rich. Especially not that manufacturing jobs are drying up across America, many white males are unemployed.

Just being a white male doesn't make your life problem-free, and there's many very poor groups of whites, especially those put out of work by economic changes or in certain rural areas.

To say that whites-only scholarships shouldn't be allowed, but scholarships for African Americans, Hispanics, or other specific groups should be allowed is using logic racist against whites. [No, I will not use the term "reverse racism," as this term is racist in its suggestion that discriminating against white people is somehow not as bad as discriminating against any other group...]

I'd prefer it if no scholarships were limited on the basis of race or ethnicity, but since we can't have that, whites-only scholarships should have their place among all the other scholarships with racial or ethnic requirements.
  • speakingezspeakingez Registered User Posts: 170 Junior Member
    UVA, you need to read my post again if you think I'm only against white scholarships. I think scholarships based on race or culture are unethical. I implied that I really don't deserve a scholarship just for being Polish. I apply to them because I need the money and I'm willing to be a little unethical to pay for college.

My point is, there needs to be more than a race requirement for any scholarship. I think students should also demonstrate hardship as a result of the specified race.

And if you can't identify with a single race, you need to find something else to identify with in regards to scholarship searches. You don't need to rely on race. I'm sure there's something else that makes you who you are. I recall a scholarship for Trekkies (I couldn't apply because I wasn't a member of the mock Star Fleet *sad face* ).

ETA: And when you're older, you'll be able to start a scholarship specifically for students of several races, if you think it's necessary.
13»
This discussion has been closed.