Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Consolidated list of questions:

njd1995njd1995 Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
edited March 2011 in College Admissions
To avoid making multiple threads:

1. Do schools care eabout what other schools you're applying to? I know most schools don't ask but say someone accidentally lets it slip. For example, if Dartmouth finds out Applicant B is also applying to Harvard and Amherst, will the admission officer's mind immediately jump to "she just wants a highly ranked college," which isn't the case. Obviously, the higher ranked colleges have lots to offer.

2. Do colleges care that a recommender shares a recommendation with an applicant? Is that illegal? I can easily see a college not wanting to admit someone who disregards the law, so let's say this is also slipped.

3. If something must be mailed in, and it says it must be "by this date," does that mean that I have to give it to the Post Office before that date, on that date is also acceptable, or that it has to be received by that date?
Post edited by njd1995 on

Replies to: Consolidated list of questions:

• glassesarechicglassesarechic Registered User Posts: 5,487 Senior Member
    1. Do schools care eabout what other schools you're applying to? I know most schools don't ask but say someone accidentally lets it slip. For example, if Dartmouth finds out Applicant B is also applying to Harvard and Amherst, will the admission officer's mind immediately jump to "she just wants a highly ranked college," which isn't the case. Obviously, the higher ranked colleges have lots to offer.

Some schools (Tufts and WUSTL) are known for discriminating against students they think are aiming higher. Many top schools, however, don't take demonstrated interest into account. They're confident they can rope you into coming if you're good enough to be accepted.

This doesn't mean, however, that you reveal that you're applying to Harvard in your Williams interview. That would just make you look like you hadn't done you're research, since the schools offer vastly different experiences given their different locations and sizes.
    2. Do colleges care that a recommender shares a recommendation with an applicant? Is that illegal? I can easily see a college not wanting to admit someone who disregards the law, so let's say this is also slipped.

lol, no it's not illegal. The waiver you sign is technically about seeing recommendations after you're accepted, the theory being that teachers are likely to write more candidly if the student isn't permitted access to it. But many teachers are happy to share their rec with the student to make sure they're happy with it. If your teacher willingly shares your rec, that's fine.
    3. If something must be mailed in, and it says it must be "by this date," does that mean that I have to give it to the Post Office before that date, on that date is also acceptable, or that it has to be received by that date?

It needs to be postmarked by that date, but don't play the procrastination game.
  • njd1995njd1995 Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    Thanks for number 2.

I accidentally let it slip to one college representative that I'm applying to its peers too (sent email to wrong address).

I haven't been procrastinating. My recommender is a bit busy, but I gave him the stuff weeks ago and asked for a rec even earlier. Do colleges penalize for recommendations' tardiness? Will they just think the student waited until the last minute to give the forms to the recommender? Should I call to clear this up?
  • charlieschmcharlieschm Registered User Posts: 4,282 Senior Member
    A couple schools do ask where else you applied. It is good to list a few colleges that they would consider their equals. I would not volunteer information that you have applied to 8 or more colleges. I also wouldn't volunteer a list of colleges that would make them believe they are your safety school.
  • njd1995njd1995 Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    I didn't volunteer it, it was an accident.

Also, the school I accidentally sent the email to is far from my safety; in fact, it's probably just as big of a reach as the ones I slipped.
This discussion has been closed.