Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I have a little problem......

121212121212 Registered User Posts: 92 Junior Member
edited February 2011 in College Admissions
I'm applying to some top schools (Ivy league, Stanford, Northwestern, Duke, etc.) from Canada. My school does not give out marks based on a 4-point scale, but instead gives out percentage marks (0-100). When I filled in the Common App, I didn't know what to put for the part where you self-report your GPA. I didn't know whether or not to average out my marks from Grade 9 - Grade 12, whether to leave out Grade 9, how to factor in the first term of Grade 12, etc. I just put 4.0 unweighted, even though my school doesn't use a 4 point scale.

My averages are (no weighting):

Grade 9: 92.5
Grade 10: 94
Grade 11: 94.9
Grade 12 first term: 94.14

Do you think I'm alright if I put 4.0? On the bottom of my report card for each year it says 4.0, and on my school's naviance it converts my mark to 4.0.
Post edited by 121212 on

Replies to: I have a little problem......

• bzva74bzva74 - Posts: 427 Member
    To do a proper GPA you do the following
    A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0.
    You get 1 value for each class. So let's say you take 8 classes and got all A's. You would have (4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4)/8. If you got a 92.5 freshman year, that's probably like a 3.65-3.7. Everything after that is at about 3.8-4.0

But without seeing your entire transcript, I couldnt tell you your GPA.
  • 121212121212 Registered User Posts: 92 Junior Member
    At my school, though, an A is 86%. Basically, what I'm asking is will the universities think I'm lying or something when I put 4.0
  • bzva74bzva74 - Posts: 427 Member
    If every single grade on your transcript is above an 85, then yes. But if you write 4.0 and they notice that you have a B here or there...
This discussion has been closed.