Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Merit based aid from NYU!

shorttracklovershorttracklover Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
edited April 2011 in College Admissions
I applied to NYU expecting to get some sort of merit based contribution from them, but on my financial aid summary, it says that I got an unsubsidized loan and a federal plus loan. I'm not really sure what either of those mean, but I was surprised because I have a few friends that are equally qualified academically, and they got a significant amount in scholarship money. I even know a few people that have lower SAT scores and gpas, but still got money. As it possible that they made a mistake?
This isn't meant to sound pompous or anything, I'm genuinely asking.
If I got money, I would most definitely go there!
Post edited by shorttracklover on

Replies to: Merit based aid from NYU!

• polarscribepolarscribe Registered User Posts: 3,232 Senior Member
    NYU is well-known for terrible financial aid policies. You can call and ask, but in all likelihood, what you see is what you get.

What are your other options? I'm sure you've got some excellent choices.
  • shorttracklovershorttracklover Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    I also got into Tufts, and a few state schools, but I was really looking to go to NYU =/.
    It's just baffling that other students of equal, maybe even lesser academic caliber got money. =(
  • OHS1979OHS1979 Registered User Posts: 205 Junior Member
    I believe it is based more on financial need than on grades.
  • tk21769tk21769 Registered User Posts: 10,496 Senior Member
    According to Common Data Set information, only about 5% of NYU freshmen get merit scholarships, averaging about $7K ea. Chances are, what your friends got was need-based aid, not merit-based.
This discussion has been closed.