Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

100 grand loan for purdue engineering.is it worth..??

2»

Replies to: 100 grand loan for purdue engineering.is it worth..??

• sathviksathvik Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Hey thank you all for that input.so you all basically say that its better off going to a state college rather than Purdue.But i fear that i wont be able to secure a job at a state school,how hard i study and maintain 4.0.Thats because employers generally dont look at the state universities to hire people for research related positions and other high end Aerospace and Mechanical engineering related jobs.For example Lockheed martin hired a lot of people from Cornell and Purdue rather UCSD or NYU. so what do you all say about that.I personally think that a prestigious name like Purdue or UCB (I'd like to transfer there) has more "pull factor" rather any state university.Please correct me if i am wrong.That was just an opinion of mine though.
  • metemanmeteman - Posts: 832 Member
    UCB is a state school.
    NYU is not a state school.
  • zapfinozapfino Registered User Posts: 2,835 Senior Member
    ^^ Purdue is a state university.
  • ClassicRockerDadClassicRockerDad Registered User Posts: 6,365 Senior Member
    I am an electrical engineer in high end research. It is a lot of fun, financially rewarding and I highly recommend it. You never stop learning.

I think you are correct. A top school like Purdue will get more high end recruiting. If you want to go into high end research and work on the cutting edge, then you should go to a top school to study with great peers and you must excel. Don't forget the excel part. The school won't make you successful. The school will give you the opportunity for you to make yourself successful. If you are committed to that above all else, then I would borrow the money and go to Purdue. But please, don't forget the excel part.

You will owe a lot of money, but you will most likely have the means to pay it back and it will all have been worth it because you will have a great career, though it will hurt for a while.

If you don't excel, you will just owe a lot of money. That will hurt even more.

Good luck.
  • sathviksathvik Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Never mind i am always confused on whether NYU is a state or a public university but i think you got the point.
    @classicrockerdad:-thank you for your encouragement.i was down a little bit after hearing some other replies but now i am confident that i can "excel" in my studies.And i was also interested in the electrical part but when i started to do research on propulsion systems then i caught the cord of Aerospace engineering.So i think the loan is justifiable because i know i will excel.
  • MisterKMisterK Registered User Posts: 1,552 Senior Member
    The Classic Rocker totally nailed it - 100%.

The truth is that there are phenomenal opportunities that open up at the better engineering schools, especially for the best students. The extra cost can certainly be justified if you're one of those students.

You need to know yourself. Will you be one of the top students?
2»
This discussion has been closed.