Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

College and SAT

rtist25ejlrtist25ejl Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited April 2011 in College Admissions
Hey, I recently got my SAT scores in the mail. What are my chances of getting into NYU, Boston University, Penn State, Fordham, etc. if my SAT scores are the following:

CR- 540
Math- 610
Writing- 740

I want to go into law, and my GPA throoughout high school is a 95.5
Thanks!
Post edited by rtist25ejl on

Replies to: College and SAT

• sketchpadsketchpad Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    Considering a 3.8 and 2210 and stellar ecs didnt get me anywhere out of 16 schools, I would say....take the test again..
  • rtist25ejlrtist25ejl Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Also, I am in all AP classes, I have won numerous awards in Model UN Confrences such as Harvard MUN, i am a first generation minority, and I had close family that attended NYU, Penn State, and Fordham. Does this help?
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 28,880 Senior Member
    Go talk with your guidance counselor about what these scores could mean for you. One concern that I have is that your GPA is very good, but your CR score is not. Have you always done better in your classwork than on standardized tests? Some people do.

One reason for this discrepancy could be that you still haven't learned how to approach this kind of exam, so you should look for an exam prep course that focuses on test-taking strategies. Another reason could be that you stuffer from test-induced anxiety, which can be combatted in a number of different ways. Your guidance counselor would have ideas for you on that one. Lastly, this kind of discrepancy could be an indication of a previously undiagnosed learning difference that is due to processing issues - something along the dyslexia line. If your writing score were low as well, I would ask whether English is your primary language or not, but your writing score is quite good.

If you know in your heart that you will always be hopeless on this kind of exam (Happykid is like that), you should take a look at the list of exam optional colleges and universities at The National Center for Fair & Open Testing | FairTest
This discussion has been closed.