Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chances of getting into these schools?

PoliSciAspirantPoliSciAspirant Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
Hi, I am a high school junior who is starting to look into colleges. I have a passion for the social sciences, in particular government and economics, and am planning on majoring in Political Science. The schools I am most looking into (in order of most desired to least desired) are: UC Berkeley, UT Austin, UM Ann Arbor, UW Madison and UNC Chapel Hill. I would prefer to go to a public school unless I can get accepted into an Ivy school, which I consider too much of a reach at this point. My resume goes as follows:

3.7 unweighted GPA, top 10% of class

30 composite ACT, am retaking in June, hoping for a 32 or 33

I attend a National Consortium for Specialized Secondary Schools of Mathematics, Science, and Technology (NCSSSMST) school for half the day. It's pretty much a high school for accelerated students in Math and Science (I know, unrelated to what I plan on majoring in, but the classes are still accelerated so this could be an advantage when applying?)

have a rigorous schedule for next year. AP English, AP Calculus BC, AP Statistics and am trying to enroll in our local community college for an honors Government class.

I am Hispanic

played a year of varsity soccer and a year of jv basketball. I have tutored kids and volunteered at soup kitchens, and I plan on volunteering extensively over this summer in addition to a job.

I also have a personal situation... my father is South American (since nationalized) and my mother is a white American. Throughout my whole life we have moved back and forth between South America and the US at about two year intervals. After freshman year, we had to move back, which I did not want to do because it would screw up my education. However I had no choice, so I had to go. We live in a rural area about 40 miles from the nearest town with reliable internet access. I signed up for online classes in Chemistry, Biology and History for my sophomore year. We used a home schooling program for my English classes. I had to attend regular school down there, and travel into the city and stay there over weekends to complete my online classes. This is another reason I am so low in school-related ECs (NHS, Student govt, etc) I don't know how much this will be factored in by colleges when evaluating me.

Would you please evaluate how I stand? I'd prefer you to be blunt and honest if required rather than sugar coating anything. Berkeley is my absolute dream school, but I know its the top public school in the nation and I may not stack up. Also, I live in Michigan so UM would be the only in-state school. My family is not what you would call well off financially, so I know it'll be hard to enroll in the other colleges even if I'm admitted, though I plan on doing my best to receive a lot of scholarship money and I know I'll qualify for a lot of financial aid.
Anyway, thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.