Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Message to Rising Seniors: Start Knowing All Requirements for Each College You Apply

MiselisMMiselisM Registered User Posts: 359 Member
edited May 2011 in College Admissions
As it says in the title, its very important for rising seniors to begin viewing college websites and know the requirements for each college. Start doing so now!

I am a rising senior, and am one one of the few people that are done with school already ( finished two weeks ago). Because of that, I have more time to do research on colleges.

Moments ago I was searching through Boston University's site, where I will be applying into the school of communications.

I took a look at the program requirements, and noticed that for students applying to the Communications program, it is required for them to submit ACT scores ( with writing).

Not only was I not planning on taking the ACT, but instead I was focusing on how many more times I'll need to take the SAT, plus Subject Tests.

Thankfully, I know months in advance the requirements I need and can plan for it.. Just some advice to everyone who is beginning the process: start looking for these key requirements now.
Post edited by MiselisM on

Replies to: Message to Rising Seniors: Start Knowing All Requirements for Each College You Apply

• rodneyrodney Registered User Posts: 9,406 Senior Member
    would love to know where you think you saw this.....please post

see below:

Freshman Applicants | Boston University Admissions

see the particular section which says standardized tests: SAT w SAT subject tests OR ACT w writing.

In addition, if you click on "see the requirements for your specific school" the chart says SAT w SAT subject tests OR ACT w writing
  • L.A.ParentL.A.Parent Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    MiselisM--Your point about knowing the college requirements is well-taken; however, I think that you misread the chart on the BU website. For the communications program you need to take the SAT and 2 Subject Tests OR the ACT with Writing. You do not need to take the ACT.

Visually the chart is confusing--The line about the ACT is on the same horizontal line as the College of Communications line on the chart, but if you look closely, it is really a continuation of the requirements for the College of Arts and Sciences (they have the same requirements).

If you look again at the chart, I think you will see. My online skills aren't good enough to copy the chart here.
    Good luck.
  • ChardoChardo Registered User Posts: 3,090 Senior Member
    ^ Maybe that says something about their College of Communications?
  • MiselisMMiselisM Registered User Posts: 359 Member
    This is the link I saw: Program Requirements | Boston University Admissions

I don't think I'm reading the chart wrong.. And thanks for the link rodney.

I didn't say that I dont need to take the SAT +Subject Tests as well, but the point is if I didnt look I would never have known to take the ACT as well.
  • rodneyrodney Registered User Posts: 9,406 Senior Member
    ^^lol

There's also a mistake on the chart for college of general studies so I guess this thread should be titled, check and check again....and when you are done, check again..

for those who are keeping score, you DO NOT have to take SAT subject tests for College of General Studies

edit: cross posted; the lol was not for you OP...and the chart is confusing but it does say "OR"...nbd....
    ^That's the chart I was trying to explain to you in my inelegant way. Look at it again and I think you will see where you misread the requirements.
    Ha yes! Double checking certainly doesnt hurt, especially if it can be a negative affect on your app.

So point blank: Check early and get used to the system!
    OK I have cross-posted with everyone, but MiselisM I hope that you understand that you do not have to take the ACT. It's an OR, not an AND.... Mmmh, reminds me of those debates about the meaning of "is" back in the 90s.
    @ L.A. Parent- Oh ok, I see where you are coming from... Thanks for the clarification.
This discussion has been closed.