Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

American reapplying... to a Canadian school

DrChickenDrChicken Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
edited May 2011 in College Admissions
I may have posted here once or twice many years back, and I found the information and feedback to be helpful, so I'm hoping that I can get something similar for my current situation.

I am currently a junior undergraduate engineering student at Northwestern. I was accepted here on an ROTC scholarship. As it turns out, I despise engineering and the school, but had no luck with transferring or changing majors because of my scholarship. Now I find myself being medically disenrolled from my binding scholarship (disqualifying, permanent damage imparted to my right leg), with absolutely no debt to my name after three years.

I've been looking at good political science/international relations schools (with engineering so I can complete my current degree) to transfer to, but I've found none with an acceptable price range (Berkeley and Michigan are way overpriced, imo).

To the point: A friend of mine suggested that I look at McGill... Why are most Canadian schools exponentially cheaper than their American counterparts? AFAIK, McGill is comparable to Northwestern in rankings but is less than half the cost.

When I apply to McGill or some other school, can I avoid matriculation and only use my high school grades and stats? A combination of mental and physical illness has crashed and burned my GPA for the past year and a half, and I'm hoping for a possibility to start anew, or at least use transfer credits that don't apply to my new GPA. Is any of this possible?

Thanks if you read this. Yeah, I know. tl;dr
Post edited by DrChicken on

Replies to: American reapplying... to a Canadian school

• caligulashorsecaligulashorse Registered User Posts: 311 Member
    Canadian universities are heavily subsidized by the Canadian government. My Canadian friend pays only about $2k a semester at Simon Fraser, which is pretty crazy.

As for not submitting your college transcript and starting anew? No, you have to submit everything you've ever done at Northwestern.
  • DrChickenDrChicken Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    I know this sounds disingenuous, but what if I just pretended as if my time at Northwestern never existed? My current GPA would pretty much annihilate my chances of going to any decent school, but my high school/standardized test stats are phenomenal.
  • caligulashorsecaligulashorse Registered User Posts: 311 Member
    In theory, it's possible, but if McGill or any other college found out, they would immediately kick you out. It's a huge liability, and I think you'd be foolish to attempt it. I know in the States there's a national registry that colleges can check to see if you've been enrolled in anywhere else. I have no idea if Canadian colleges can/do check that, but it's really not worth the gamble anyway.

Also, don't you think it'd seem suspicious to them if you applied several years out of high school with apparently no reason (i.e., no work, travel, etc.)?
This discussion has been closed.