Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance Me?

Mia00001Mia00001 Registered User Posts: 34 New Member
edited May 2011 in College Admissions
This is my first post and I just want to have an idea what kind of colleges I could get into.
I am a Hispanic female (I was born in Peru) and a junior in high school.
My GPA is 3.5 UW/4.1W. I have taken all honors classes throughout high school except for a few electives. In addition, I have taken 2 AP classes this year: AP Lang (The hardest class in my school) and APUSH. I predict I got a 5 on both AP exams but I don’t know yet. Next year my weighted GPA will definitely increase since I will be taken more AP classes:
AP Gov’t/ AP Micro Econ
AP Lit
AP Psych
AP Environmental
French IV
College Algebra (Dual-enrollment)
Journalism (I am the editor of my school newspaper)

My SAT score is 2050 (I’m going to re-take it next year, I didn’t really study for this one)
I haven’t taken my ACT yet. I will be taking the SAT II US History in a few days (I expect to get a good score of above 700 since I’m really good at History and I already studied really hard for the APUSH exam)
I might take the SAT II for Spanish since I’m fluent in it but I’m not sure yet. Do you think I should?
ECs:
French Honors Society
Thespian Society
Social Studies Honors Society
Drama Club
Editor of school newspaper
I have been in various plays in school
Piano, guitar and voice lessons
I have around 120 community service hours. I volunteer at church (I am kind of a teaching assistant for a class of kids aged 3-5)
This summer I will be working at a TV station in Peru (My mom’s friend owns it) I decided to include this here because I think it will be a really cool opportunity since I intend to major in either film, journalism or media and communications. Maybe I could write about my experience working there in my college apps next year.
Class rank: Top 25%
Chance me for:
FSU
University of Miami
SUNY: Purchase
Bard
Pratt
Oberlin
The New School
Columbia
Post edited by Mia00001 on

Replies to: Chance Me?

• texaspgtexaspg Forum Champion Pre-Med & Medical Posts: 16,677 Forum Champion
    Are you still a citizen of Peru?

What is current State?

Your GPA and scores are low for Columbia but you may have a hook as a Foreign national if you are still a Citizen of Peru. A local Hispanic will probably need better numbers unless your expected TV gig turns out to be interesting to Columbia.

Oberlin is pretty high up as an LAC. Not sure about the other schools on your list.
  • Mia00001Mia00001 Registered User Posts: 34 New Member
    Yes I am still a citizen of Peru and I live in Florida
  • texaspgtexaspg Forum Champion Pre-Med & Medical Posts: 16,677 Forum Champion
    You should be in at FSU then. Have you considered Southern Cal?
  • Mia00001Mia00001 Registered User Posts: 34 New Member
    No, not really. I haven't really looked at that many schools yet. I have just started my search of what schools I might be applying to next year. If there are any schools you can recommend I will really appreciate it :).
This discussion has been closed.