Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What are my chances at these schools?

davidthefatdavidthefat Registered User Posts: 1,521 Senior Member
edited July 2011 in College Admissions
So I am looking to schools that are in my reach which have a lot of undergrad research opportunities in Computer Science and or Electrical Engineering. I am going to double major in Computer Science and Electrical Engineering.

GPA: 3.0-3.11
SAT (Superscore): 1900
Math: 680
Reading: 620
Writing: 600

ACT: 32
Math: 34
English: 30
Reading: 32
Science: 30

SAT IIs:
Math II: 670 (retaking)
Physics: 750 (perhaps retake)
Korean: 640 (such a disgrace... America white washed me)

EC:
Lead Software Engineer in Robotics Team
Taught myself C++ when I was 11, been programming ever since. I can learn pretty much any language... Assembly experience too.
Robot Operator
Robotics team since Sophomore year.
Made it to Semi Finals in San Diego, 4rth overall

Football Freshman to Junior year; quit to dedicate 100% on robotics and academics
JV League Champs

So, as you can see, terrible grades just ruined me... I know some schools seem outrageous for my stats, like Berkley, but why not? It is all "one" application.
UC San Diego 
UC Berkeley 
UCLA
UC Santa Cruz 
UC Davis 
UC Irvine 
UC Riverside 
U of Illinois @Urbana Champaign
Texas Tech
Purdue University
Rochester Institute of Technology
Bradley University 
Georgia Institute of Technology
Kettering University 
Carnegie Mellon University 
Polytechnic Institute of New York
Illinois Institute of Technology
Cal Poly Pomona
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
Rensselaer Polytechnic
Worcester Polytechnic
Florida Institute of Technology
Stevens Institute of Technology
Post edited by davidthefat on

Replies to: What are my chances at these schools?

• davidthefatdavidthefat Registered User Posts: 1,521 Senior Member
    Anyone willing? I am not going to tell my whole life story here, but let's just say that I have not had the right array of teachers during my pre-highschool era. Why does that matter? I lost respect for teachers and essentially said screw you school and skated by. Now I have matured and will face my problems head on.
  • StevenfStevenf Registered User Posts: 621 Member
    I can't speak for any but the UCs. Unfortunately, even with your ACT, your GPA will practically exclude you from Berkeley, San Diego, Irvine, and Los Angeles. In addition, you will have limited chances at Davis. Santa Cruz and Riverside are probably high matches, meaning you have a good chance.
    Also, Carnegie Mellon and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo are unlikely.
    Unlikely as they may seem, According to Cappex, a few students got in with similar stats as me. Like 2 or 3 at CMU and a couple in Cal Poly. Well, UCs were never so hot on my list as far as I am concerned. Honestly, I would be satisfied going anywhere on my list except may be for Cal Poly Pomona. Pomona has too many people I know so... Eh. Honestly, I would be happy to go to any of those schools, but I would choose a smaller school over the super giant Texas Tech. I get in no matter what according to their assured admissions.
    Bump, anyone? What about the other 75% of the schools on my list?
  • soontobeseniorsoontobesenior Registered User Posts: 167 Junior Member
    I am not super familiar with the schools. But when I have talked with admissions counselor, they say that when they see students who have super high ACT scores that really do not match their GPAS they wonder if the student is lazy or if something happpened. This is what you should use your interview for. Explain why you had a rough time with your teachers without blaming them, and emphasize that you have matured. Interviews will only HELP you. I bet you could get into RIT, maybe purdue? Again, try and see what happens.
    Do state schools have interviews? I have checked Purdue's site and I see no mentions of interviews.
  • soontobeseniorsoontobesenior Registered User Posts: 167 Junior Member
    They might not technically have interviews, but call and ask. even if they don't, find out who your admissions counselor is and talk to them. Each college has specific counselors for different regions and the website usually has a list if you look hard enough.
  • stressedoutttstressedouttt Registered User Posts: 4,111 Senior Member
    "Taught myself C++ when I was 11"
    my dad has spent years teaching himself C++.....
    Stressed out: don't be a smart Alec. Okay, you caught me in the act. In programming, there are so much that can be learned that it is a continuous thing. I am not saying I know everything, but I am still learning. I guess it should be stated I started when i was 11. But I know significant amount of programming.
This discussion has been closed.