Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How can i raise my GPA?

coola426coola426 Registered User Posts: 502 Member
edited June 2011 in College Admissions
My GPA is really bad right now, good thing is i brought it up after this last semester of my sophmore year. I had a 2.5 now i have a 2.74 still s****y but i'm improving. I'm about to be a junior and this is my schedule

AP Psych
AP Comparative Government
Pre-Calculus
French 2
Honors English 11
Honors U.S History(should i take AP?)
Honors Chemistry

Unlike most of the people on this forum i'm not trying to go to Ivies or top schools like Rice, Stanford, Caltech etc but I am trying to get into a good school

I am a URM(African from Nigeria) will that help me in the admission process?

Please show me or tell me a technique in order to raise my GPA i really don't want to go to a CC.

Replies to: How can i raise my GPA?

• pch340pch340 Registered User Posts: 811 Member
    Well, ideally, you raise your GPA by getting high grades in your classes. Not sure what kind of loophole or easy way out you are looking for, but I would check with your counselor to see if your school allows you to retake classes in which you had a C average or lower. Some schools (not mine) will allow you to take an online course over the summer which will be factored into your GPA as another class, or, if you're lucky, in place of another class.

A 7 class schedule is pretty tough, I would recommend staying after school as much as possible. Try to find extra time with teachers, student tutors, whatever it may be, just spend a lot more time focusing on your classes than you did the previous year, and you should start to see some improvement.

Junior year is pretty much your last shot, so keep in mind that this year will make it or break it for you.

GL buddy
  • StevenfStevenf Registered User Posts: 621 Member
    If you get As in all of those classes, you can have a total GPA of ~3.5 by the end of junior year, and maybe a 3.7 or so by 2nd semester senior year.

It will help, however, that you have an upward trend. Try as hard as possible.
  • Axel3419Axel3419 Registered User Posts: 241 Junior Member
    Being a URM WILL help you in admissions -- it will help you more at better schools. You need to raise your GPA as much as possible, though, if you want to get into any "good" school.

Doing really well in the SAT or ACT can offset that (a little), however. But focus more on getting to know your teachers and doing as well as possible in your classes next year. Good Luck :)
This discussion has been closed.