Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What does a college admissions resume look like?

grammargirl94grammargirl94 Registered User Posts: 363 Member
edited July 2011 in College Admissions
The title says it all. I started looking at applications today, and one of my applications doesn't allow me to list my ECs. I need a resume. What does a college admissions resume look like?
Post edited by grammargirl94 on

Replies to: What does a college admissions resume look like?

• SamonuhSamonuh - Posts: 1,051 Senior Member
    List your name, address, phone number, and e-mail on the top. Then organize into education experience, work experience, achievements, activities and other skills/talents. That's what mine looks like.
  • InterficioInterficio - Posts: 881 Member
    Wait, when do you need the resume? sh** this is all confusing...
    I already have one created on family connections/naviance but how do I send it/known where to send it?
  • pch340pch340 Registered User Posts: 811 Member
    ^There's no need to send it if your applying with the CommonApp or a similar college application that allows you to list extracurricular activities. The OP is saying this specific college's application doesn't give you any space to provide that information, so he would like to include a resume.

Name
    Address
    City, State
    Phone number
    Email

Objective: To attain a Bachelor of XX degree in XX and to ultimately pursue XX

Education: Date of High School entrance to present

High School Name

Extracurricular Activities:

• Activity 11, 12

• Activity 10, 11, 12

Athletics:

• Activity 9,10,11,12

Community Service:

• Activity 9, 10, 11

Work Experience:

• Position, Location 10, 11
    • Position Location 11, 12

Academic Awards

Something like that
  • grammargirl94grammargirl94 Registered User Posts: 363 Member
    Thank you. For the activities, do I say the name of the activity and then a one-two sentence description underneath?

XYZ Club 9,10,11,12
    As President, I did A, B, C, D.
    Also, would it help if I put a blurb about myself or an overview on the top, maybe to highlight my best qualities, or do you think that would be repetitive since I'm submitting this resume, an essay, and recommendations?
    Can anyone answer my questions, please?
  • EliteUHopefulEliteUHopeful Registered User Posts: 145 Junior Member
    Admissions officers at highly selective colleges are very pressured for time, and often will merely glance at resumes in order to get a "quick picture" of the applicant. I think that the blurb thing you mentioned is a great way for the admissions people to glean that information without going through your entire resume. Putting descriptions under the names of the activities is also a good way for admissions people to learn what you actually did for each activity. If they have the time to read your resume, it'll be very helpful for them. However, I would suggest making sure the "activities" portion of your Common App is perfect before adding details to your resume. Remember that there is no guarantee that admissions officers will look at your resume, so other portions of your application (essay, recommendations, etc.) need to be perfect as well.
    Thank you.
  • stanbrown3695stanbrown3695 Registered User Posts: 125 Junior Member
    Is it necessary to include an Objectives section and a Qualification Summary section in a resume? What if I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to major in?
  • salsapenguinsalsapenguin Registered User Posts: 274 Junior Member
    I have a question. I've been doing an athletic activity for 11 years now. Should I only put 9-12th grade. Personally, I think it would be nice to acknowledge that I did it for 11 years but I don't know how to go about doing so. Thanks :)
  • stanbrown3695stanbrown3695 Registered User Posts: 125 Junior Member
    Salsapenguin, put it on your resume that you have done it for 11 years. Colleges love to see commitment in long-term activities, so it's nice to show that. I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter, but as long as you have continued it all throughout high school, then it's fine.
This discussion has been closed.