Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chances at MIT and CMU?

2»

Replies to: Chances at MIT and CMU?

• rtkysgrtkysg Registered User Posts: 598 Member
    Upps ... I didn't realize that you actually intend to attend one of those schools next year.

Don't get me wrong, Purdue and Minnesota are good, but they are rather well-known because there are a few prominent professors whose researches mostly have nothing to do with the undergrad education. Secondly, the environment is not that competitive compared to top notch engineering schools. I'm saying this because you're an international student, and I know that international students tend to be stronger/competitive than local students. What I mean is that other universities: Upenn, Princeton, Columbia, Yale ... are worth trying, may be they're not that techy, have only limited courses in engineering and do not have great facilities, but they do have strong environments.

And by the way, your choice for your undergrad school indeed affect your chances for admission to grad school, so choose carefully.
  • h88h88 Registered User Posts: 540 Member
    Boomer01: Hopefully, I might be financially backed up by a company or the government if I'm accepted at a top-notch school, so the tuition fee isn't my major concern.

And GoBlue81, MIT do, indeed, waive the Writing Component for International Students, and international students are free to either do (SAT I + three SAT IIs) or (2 SAT IIs and TOEFL).

rtkysg, thanks man for all your help, I hear ya there bro, and that was a major concern for me as well.. :-\ But those were my safeties. what's your research field? I am mostly interested in logic control and automation.
  • rtkysgrtkysg Registered User Posts: 598 Member
    Old stuff, Communication
    Are you kidding me? Communication is old stuff?

My sister is majoring communication as well (undergrad at a national uni), and she basically loves antenna propagation and wireless communication.. she just talks about these courses and how cool they are.. lol
  • GoBlue81GoBlue81 Registered User Posts: 3,938 Senior Member
    Ok, so you've got waiver from MIT. What about Caltech and CMU? And I'm sure that Purdue, Minnesota and Penn State require SAT I. Ditto for other major State U's. The only automatic waiver I know is for China where SAT is not offered (but then you seem to have no problem testing for SAT II). Suggest you write to each school and get them to clarify that. The reason why I say this is that admissions at State U's tend to be square... probably because they get so many applications each year.

I have to disagree with Rthysg. If you want to practice engineering, your best bet is to go to the top engineering schools. The top 2 programs in your field is MIT and CMU (Stanford, UCB, UIUC and UMich are also right up there). I know for a fact that Purdue has a top notch undergraduate engineering program. Can't say the same for Minnesota... unless you wanna be a ChE (besides it gets so cold in the winter you freeze your butt out there). Another school you may wanna look at is U of Texas-Austin. Great school and great campus. And it still has one of the cheapest tuitions in the country.
    GoBlue81, I see your point there about the SAT II Writing.. I think I'll give it a shot in Jan and submit it to CMU.

I am no more going to apply to CalTech, bro.

And quite to the contrary, Minnesota, Penn state, and Purdue require only TOEFL for international students, but you are free to take SAT I instead.
  • hellohello Registered User Posts: 1,199 Senior Member
    h88: where are you from??

btw your chances at MIT and Caltech will heavily depend on what your grades in High school. And as someone already said, most schools would like to see 4 years of Math, English and Science.

Since you are so talented, why dont you finish your senior year, take the SAT I's, take courses at a local university (if you feel school is no more challenging) and then apply next year?? This would really improve your chances drastically.

Think about it.
    Hello,

As for science, I have covered even more sciences than most seniors... 4th year Math and English is not my major concern as CalTech (pointless now, as I'm not applying there anyway), MIT, Penn State and CMU all have the famous Early Admission program.

I think I'll waste my time if I stay for a couple of courses in my senior year and some other community college courses (as you proposed) and I doubt this would move my application any further..
2»
This discussion has been closed.