Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chances at MIT and CMU?

h88h88 Registered User Posts: 540 Member
edited December 2004 in College Admissions
Hello all,

I am junior student living outside the US. So yeah, I'm graduating this year and thought I'd have a shot at CMU, MIT(first choice), Purdue, CalTech, Minnesota, and Penn State-UC.

SAT I: not taken / not needed for international students
SAT II: MathIIc: 800 Chemistry: 740
TOEFL: Expecting a 255-275 / 300

GPA: Grade 9: 3.82/4.5 Grade 10: 4.14/4.5 Grade 11: 4.2/4.5

EC's:

- Co-authoring and building a standardized programming language which is somewhat similar to Python and Perl. (Obviously, using ECMA as a standard for our code)

- Develop and design dynamic websites (blogs, CMS, etc..) using PHP, Flash, and CSS.

- Moderating and Adminstrating a highly respectable and famous web design community.

- Electronics workshop and computer maintenace.

- VP of Class.

- Table Tennis, Tennis, Basketball, and Soccer.

APs: None. (Not offered here :-\) But the courses are really tough here, so far I've done:

3 years Chemistry
2 years physics
2 years biology
3 years mathematics
3 years english
2 years humanities (Economics, Business and History)

That's pretty much all about me.. I'm aiming for an Electrical Engineering degree.

Thanks.
Post edited by h88 on

Replies to: Chances at MIT and CMU?

• rtkysgrtkysg Registered User Posts: 598 Member
    International Student?
    MIT and Caltech: very slim, for international student, your stats kinda below average.
    For top notch unis, Stanford and Berkeley are slightly easier to get in, you can give it a shot.

CMU: Good Match
    Purdue, Minnesota, Penn state: you're in
  • h88h88 Registered User Posts: 540 Member
    Interesting! No more berkeley, but I can still apply to Stanford. (I thought that stanford and ubc does not accept juniors, bah)

But I'd love to go to MIT! CalTech is my second choice.

Carnegie has a strong EE curriculum, so that's a good sign that I'm a match there!

What about Cornell? and keep the replies coming everyone!! :D
    ^ I cannot edit my post.

Sorry for posting in the wrong place, please move my thread to "My chances" forum. Thanks.
  • boomer01boomer01 Registered User Posts: 891 Member
    SAT I is required. It is only waived if you live in China. You have good chances at all those schools except MIT and Caltech.
    MIT does not require SAT I. CalTech and CMU do though.

I contacted them and they said that they can still consider my application if SATIIs are strong. Not at all MIT? :(

May I also ask this question, what it takes to get into MIT?
    To get to MIT/Caltech as an International, you need:
    1. Achievements like International Olympiad medal or
    2. National medals showing that you are the top in the country rather than merely in a school.
    3. Perfect in standardized requirement tests if any
    4. Extreme prodigy or early research attitude
    5. or Your relative is an instructor in those schools :)
    6. And LUCK LUCK LUCK

And I would say your chance at Cornell is 50/50 depending on your essays and all those stuffs.
    Don't really want to sound like a jerk but, ain't writing a programming language considered "an extreme prodigy"? And about the early research attitute, I learned all of these stuff by either reading a book, folowing a tutorial, or experimenting with functions...lol.

And about the "LUCK LUCK LUCK," yeah!!

Anyways, can someone just confirm my 'matchness' to CMU?

Thanks for the useful info guys.
    Unfortunately no, what I mean by extreme prodigy are the kind of students that complete their high school before 15 year old with perfect score, or have published some journal in academia world in their high school year.

I really think you are a match for CMU because CMU International students have similar stats like yours. Good luck though.
    Thanks.. I'll give MIT a shot, but won't apply to CalTech..

I hope I can get to CMU, they are as selective as any top school like MIT or CalTech...
    CMU is an excellent school, you can always go into your dream school if your undergrad result is brilliant.
    Yeah, they also offer minors in Robotics, I started liking this school..lol

I'm working on the Application right now, are there any other EE Programs you recommend? (Which I can satisfy their requirement)

And what Engineering program are you doing now and where? ; )
    I'm wondering why you don't intend to apply to Berkeley? Cornell, Michigan and UIUC have strong EE dept too. I think you can get into one of these schools, so I don't know why you should include Purdue and Minnesota

A lucky international student, EE, Caltech(undergrad)/MIT(grad)
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but, the deadline of the of application at Berkeley has already passed, no?

And you lucky guy, CalTech and then MIT!! hehe

Both UIUC and Michigan require SAT I, which I never planned to take until May (the new SAT), and anyway UIUC's deadline has already passed.. :-\

You see, I never intended to apply in my Junior year, but I thought that staying a year for an introductory calculus course and a 4th year literature isn't worth it. So I started planning in early November.

And, I thought Minnesota and Purdue were good, no? I've been told that they were in the top 20 list of the best engineering schools, or are you talking about something else despite their academics?

What is your research field at MIT?
  • GoBlue81GoBlue81 Registered User Posts: 3,938 Senior Member
    Wait... You are a junior (=Grade 11), and you are graduating from HS this year without completing Grade 12, right? I don't know if the colleges will hold this against you.

That's why you only have 3 years of English and 3 years of Math. Most top colleges will like to see 4 years of English; and MIT/Caltech will probably want that 4th year in Math.

And Boomer was right that SAT I is required... unless you are from China where SAT is not offered. But then if you have the means to take SAT II, it is kinda hard to convince the colleges why you couldn't also take SAT I. You put yourself at a disadvantage for not taking SAT I.

Your biggest problem is that you only took SAT II for Math IIc and Chemistry. Why couldn't you take Writing at the same time? SAT II Writing is specifically required by MIT, Caltech and CMU.

As it is, you have no proof of your English proficiency. TOEFL is not an equivalent for SAT I Verbal or SAT II Writing. You'd better find a way to demonstrate your English proficiency in your application.

Btw, your SAT II scores are good but not exceptional. I've had students with nearly perfect SAT II scores (Math 800; Physics 800; Writing 780) and still didn't make it to MIT.

There are always exceptions. If you are really exceptionally talented, some colleges may overlook their requirements... MIT and Caltech are just this kinda of schools.

Did someone mention that you need to write compeling essays?

Good luck in your application.
  • boomer01boomer01 Registered User Posts: 891 Member
    yeah dude, Purdue is pretty good for EE like #8, also I think you will make it to CMU but it is really expensive like 40k per year and there is no financial aid for internationals. I would suggest you go to a public school (purdue, UIUC, Minnesota, or Penn state) and then do graduate school at CMU or MIT.
This discussion has been closed.