Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

School suggestions

irishrabbitirishrabbit Registered User Posts: 191 Junior Member
edited October 2011 in College Admissions
Hello,

I am currently applying to college as a freshman and am finding myself a bit at a loss as to where else I should apply. I am planning to major in history and possibly from there go on to law school. I have put in applications at some in-state, affordable, "safety" type schools so I am looking more for suggestions of reach schools and privates that offer merit scholarships.

I am a little confused as to how high I should be aiming, given my stats. As far as a school environment, I am looking for intellectual students who are also social. Lots of competition over grades and the like is a huge turn-off for me. I would like a student body that is somewhat community-minded. Geographically, I would pretty much be willing to go anywhere, but preferably urban/close to a major city. Size of student body not a major factor. Please help! My college counselor and I really don't seem to understand each other well and while she has tried to be helpful I feel like I'm missing the mark.

GPA (UW): 3.4 (very rigorous high school)
SAT: 710 M 800 CR 790 W (taken once)
APs: US Hist (5), Euro Hist (5), Eng Lang (5), Art Hist (4)
National Merit recognition

Currently enrolled in AP Spanish, AP Eng Lit and AP Bio as well as 3 other academic classes including math and history.
I have had my essay reviewed (not edited) by a few teachers and received much positive feedback.

Extracurriculars:
Amnesty (4 years, 2 years leadership)
community service abroad (100 hours)
volunteer at hospital (100 hours)
other miscellaneous volunteer work
lacrosse team (4 years, captain this year)
choir (4 years)

I am a white female.

Thanks so much if you read all that and have any ideas!
Post edited by irishrabbit on

Replies to: School suggestions

This discussion has been closed.